what driver am I using?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gizmo-au

what driver am I using?

Post by gizmo-au »

I have been using Mint7 KDE for a few months now - very happy with it, but I'd like to try Gnome version now.
I have recently adopted a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop which is a bit newer than my last 'puter. However it has onboard graphics with intel 82845 GE chipset which is problematic.
I am now using the Dell with Mint7 Gnome and it works perfectly. (Thanks Mint)
I would also like to play with another distro to compare (PCLinuxOS KDE) but it gets stuck loading and it is something to do with this intel82845 graphics chipset. I understand this is a common problem, I read that even Mint8 has the same problem, as does Ubuntu 9.10. I have followed driver and settings advice from PCLOS forum with no success.

I wonder if I can find out what driver and settings is being used by Mint7, so I can set PCLOS (or maybe Mint8, later) to the same settings. I have looked in control centre > display and found it correctly identifies the make and size of the monitor, but nothing about the driver software settings. Where can I find out what driver and settings are selected by Mint7 on my computer?

I am very impressed with how easy mint7 was to install and set up.

thanks.

C
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: what driver am I using?

Post by MaddogF16 »

It's more to do with the kernel in use.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”