sis video on acer laptop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dcardinale

sis video on acer laptop

Post by dcardinale »

Hi
first off let me say Mint is the best !
now let me ask for help getting it to run with good video on my acer laptop.
It has sis 760 video onboard and I am finding that many if not all new distros are not supporting it. can anyone help me get this up and running so I can replace the os currently in use, with mint 8?

thanks

Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: sis video on acer laptop

Post by MaddogF16 »

It isn't that Linux doesn't want to support SIS, it's that SIS stays very MS bound and won't help by releasing much info about the cards, so in order to make it work they need to be reversed engineered, which is slow and very much a trial and error process.
Now if you had your choice to write drivers for a manufacture that will supply code and specs (Intel,ATI,Nvidia) or one that doesn't where would you put your efforts?

Google for that card +ubuntu 9.10 and see if someone has something figured out, but my guess would be the results will feel under whelming since they're still so MS centric (SIS that is). :roll:

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”