Help : Graphic Effects / Video Card

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aevum

Help : Graphic Effects / Video Card

Post by Aevum »

Hello,

I've been having trouble with this sort of problem I'm gonna explain: I already had problems finding drivers for my Poulsbo GMA 500 (We all know it's not great compatibilty) but after all I found a partial solution to improve the graphics of my PC, still I can't enable special effects 'cause when it says "Looking for drivers" then it doesn't find any, as they're not the correct drivers I'm using.. Since I wanted to make my window borders transparent, and the only way looks like using some "Window Manager" "Theme Manager" like Compiz, Emerald or such, is there any way I can use those even those the PC doesn't recognize the drivers I've installed, or, is there a way to make those things transpare (semi transparent) without the use of those tools?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Help : Graphic Effects / Video Card

Post by richyrich »

Lets take a look at your current hardware/drivers, from the terminal, inxi -G (enter), copy/paste back here.
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Here you go :)

Code: Select all

max@max-laptop ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card Intel System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel GMA500 20081116 - 5.0.1.0046 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.0 Mesa 7.4
P.S. I don't know if it's useful, but transparency effects are working fine in my terminal and panel, added them by their own settings.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yea, it looks like you have the best available . . . When you right-click the Desktop, choose Change Desktop Background, switch to the Effects tab, do you get an error if you try to enable "Normal" ?
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Yes, I do. It start "Searching for available Drivers". After a while the desktop gets shown only and the windows starts to appearing again on it like the new settings have been applied, after some seconds they disappear and they come back in the previous settings and I get "Desktop settings could not be enabled"
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

:(
You may have to look into other themes that handle transparency, like clearlooks or something. Once you have activated the theme, click the Customize button to see which effects are available.

On another note, not sure if you like kde or not, but Mint 8 kde comes with it's own compositing (kwin), and it works great on my Intel G33 onboard graphics.
Just something to consider ? you could always try the Live DVD ? . .

richy
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

I wouldn't want to look noobish but in the main page I only found the download for the GNOME main version.. where for the KDE one?
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Ok, nevermind, I found where to download the KDE 7 Version, as the 8 is still being for testers right? So I shall go for the 7 one?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Nope . . :D . . I suggest Mint 8 kde rc1 (it's what I have installed) . . http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/testing/

Edit: I have NEVER had to install Stable over top the RC release, it has always automatically upgraded to Stable via the Level 1 & 2 mintUpdates . .
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Thanks for all your help man, by the way, is it normal that this download is way slower than the KDE 7 I was downloading? I was downloading the 7 Version at 230kbps while this one at only 20kbps
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

It could be that you are just on a busy node, or busy time, as there will be quite a few downloading the new versions . . . happens once and a while here in Canada too !
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Yep, busy mirrors, looks like with the torrent download is going quite faster! It will be done in less than 2 hours, I'll watch a movie with my girl in the meanwhile then I'll be trying it out and then I'll let you know my feedback, either here or via PM!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”