GeForce FX 5500 dual head - oddities [CPU taxed]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Anthrogue

GeForce FX 5500 dual head - oddities [CPU taxed]

Post by Anthrogue »

I gave up on getting a Matrox G450 working in Mint 7. So put in a GeForce FX 5500 card. Eventually I got an Nvidia driver via Mint's promptings and now have an NVIDIA X Server Settings control in the system area of the Control Center. I even have two monitors working. Yay

However, my CPU seems pegged at over 50% ... veering into 90+ doing anything. Windows jitter and behave oddly when moved. A few odd effects on second monitor, like suddenly not being able to grab a window and drag it to the other. An echo of the cursor arrow remains at border of monitors upon moving from one to other. In short, something is not right and, being new to Mint, don't know how to proceed.

Other things I notice so far:
If I click "Display" in Control Center I get "RANDR exension is not present"

Appearance/Visual Effects.. Normal Radio button: It starts searching for drivers and then says "the Composite extension is not available"

Screen savers don't work once hitting "Preview"... nor do they engage at the right time.

I know where and what an xorg.conf file is.. and wonder if I should mess with that somehow.

[another very strange thing - not sure how could be related. I just switched user from root to another to see if behaviour was the same on other user. Firefox was not where to be found when it was on menu before (even favorites). Going back to "root" login, Firefox was also gone from menus..and from toolbar on lower right where I'd put a shortcut. I searched in the menu and hit "software protal" and it came up... weird stuff]

Willing to diligently pursue and report whatever if anyone can kick me in the right direction. :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: GeForce FX 5500 dual head - oddities [CPU taxed]

Post by Husse »

First off - do not use the root account unless for special tasks and NEVER use Firefox or similar as root
Second - the FX 5500 is rather old so it must use a legacy driver, the 173.14.xxx
Maybe you have the wrong version
There is something odd going on with randr and nvidia
That and the message Composite extension is not available indicates that you do not have (the right) restricted nvidia driver installed

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”