HOW TO GET GRAPHICS FUNCTIONING SOMEWHAT NORMALLY ON IBM T30

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RepElec

HOW TO GET GRAPHICS FUNCTIONING SOMEWHAT NORMALLY ON IBM T30

Post by RepElec »

Hello! Just in case any of you are IBM T30 laptop users that are having problems getting your graphics to work even remotely properly with Linux Mint 8, I might be able to help you out a little bit.

Well, hopefully. And someone else will be doing MOST of the helping.

First, go read what this guy posted on his Only Ubuntu blog:

http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... ds-in.html

EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK FINE WITH THIS GUY'S INSTRUCTIONS UNLESS YOU RAN INTO A SNAG CONCERNING XORG MACROS LIKE I DID.

Now, if you're like me, you run into a problem somewhere near the part where you're supposed to sudo ./autogen.sh yada yada, where it tells you that your xorg macros need to be 1.3 or greater in order to install. That, or you must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance. (Kidding, but points if you get the joke.) Since the latter is largely impossible, there's a way to do the former - by downloading Ubuntu Lucid's very latest (I think) xutils-dev package OMG RIGHT HERE:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/i386/x ... v/download

...and there should be an option to install it using some snazzy package manager or something - I don't know; all I did was click on it after it downloaded and thankfully, it installed.

(EL EDIT-O: I guess it would be helpful to know where to resume if you did, in fact, have to install that updated xutils-dev package - I resumed from the command "cd xf86-video-ati" with no difficulties.)

Anyway, I really hope that helps at least one other person, because getting this to work was seven different flavors of hell wrapped in an Ann Coulter tome, and sprinkled with things best not mentioned.

Oh, one more thing - this did NOT get all the pretty desktop effects working like I was hoping it would, but the way I see it I doubt I'd have Aero working on this archaic hunk of plastic and various metals if I installed Seven so I'll take it.

End communication.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: HOW TO GET GRAPHICS FUNCTIONING SOMEWHAT NORMALLY ON IBM

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure other IBM T30 users will be appreciative.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

RepElec - just curious - did it work with mint 7? Is this just happening in Mint 8? Might be useful info.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
RepElec

Post by RepElec »

I have never used any variety of Mint but 8, to be honest. As a manufacturer, I would only offer the latest OS anyway. Is there a reason I would offer an older OS? (I'm a total Linux newbie.)
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Yes but there are pros and cons to some people about using cutting/bleeding edge software or hardware and even more for some re:open-source stuff. I was just asking, that is all.
Thanks.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
RepElec

Post by RepElec »

I see. Is Helena considered bleeding-edge? Which version would be considered the most stable and supported? Sorry for the dumb questions, but like I said - REALLY new to this whole Linux thing.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

RepElec - I hate to comment in my new role as Moderator without getting Clem or other people ticked or start some big argument. Generally and personally - again - Generally and personally the newest version tends to be considered bleeding edge. Things are worked on as much as they can before a legit release. Then some debugging gets done and bugs are found by the users. Just like Apple. People want the newest machine and OS. stuff/bugs/issues/ hassles occur. many including myself wait a bit for the second or third version of a computer (if you are planning on buying one at the time) and even the OS - they tend to wait until the 2nd - 3rd update before installing. Letting other experience the issues, and also let the company iron out the glitches. I run 10.4.11 on 2 laptops - they are already using 10.6 Why - It works and don't fix what isn't broken and why buy another newer OS that generally isn't needed as such unless a certain new Application needs it. I have an old 12" ppc powerbook. it is a bit slow compared to my older macbookpro but it works. My macbookpro is still an older corde duo not a core 2 duo - but it is nice and fast and works for me. If I get a new one or need a new HD then maybe I would update - but I run what i can and need to and I believe what works don't fix it. or in many cases breaks it.

Hope this explains stuff to you.

Others, please add constructive comments - This was not intended as a point for contention. Just trying to explain it from my perspective.

Thank you. :)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

meant to reply earlier - but been swamped... Took a while to find this thread too. Ok another reason to use less than the newest version is actual computer and the hardware, ram, and other factors. Some older versions require less ram, just as some versions of the say 8 or 9 are lighter distro's in that they can run on lesser equipment. I run Gloria 7 Gnome on my wife's laptop. I have an ancient dell that I run XFCE - it is slow but it has minimal ram and a P3 system It is XFCE Gloria for example... so there are a myriad of reasons as to why one runs the various versions and types. Hope this helps.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”