VMware monitor not detected

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheWhamBurglar

VMware monitor not detected

Post by TheWhamBurglar »

Hello everyone!

As you may have guessed, I have experienced a whole boat load of problems when using Linux Mint 8 Helena on VMware Workstation 7. Specifically, it cannot detect the virtual monitor even with Open VMtools installed. This has resulted in some rather interesting display and rendering errors.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_whhaaa ... 4480617810

An ‘lspci’ command listed the virtual hardware and detected no problems.

I have noticed a number of oddities with the login screen. I have circled a number of oddities on the bottom tool bar. Including a button blocking the date and another button to the far left corner.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: VMware monitor not detected

Post by remoulder »

The graphics issues are due to screen resolution being incorrect. For issues with vmware drivers, please ask on the vmware forums.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
TheWhamBurglar

Post by TheWhamBurglar »

How is 1024x768 the wrong resolution size? I had adjusted it with in Linux Mint. In addition, VMware does not support Open VMtools nor does Linux Mint 8 support VMWare's version of VMtools. Being that this is specific to Linux Mint 8, I am stuck here.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

TheWhamBurglar wrote:How is 1024x768 the wrong resolution size?
The logon screen appears to be designed for a fixed resolution, if the screen is at some different resolution the panel doesn't display properly. Not sure if this is a bug or by design. Sorry I hadn't realized there was an open source version of VMtools, the problem you mention could be a bug and you probably need to contact the developers on sourceforge. Any reason you can't use Virtualbox rather than VMware?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
TheWhamBurglar

Post by TheWhamBurglar »

I wish I knew what log entries to give the developers of Open VMtoools. Perhaps you can give me a clue?

Normally I would say that I am using VMWare because it has extensive support for Linux and stable virtual hardware but, it would seem that Linux Mint in particular broke support for VMtools and the virtual hardware. I have used Ubuntu and Sayabon Linux before. I figured Mint would live up to what I was told, a better version of Ubuntu. Being that Ubuntu had better support for VMtools open and closed versions, I am rather disappointed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”