ATI Radeon - Black Screen (?) (newbie)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RandomHaven

ATI Radeon - Black Screen (?) (newbie)

Post by RandomHaven »

I've been looking around here, but I can't find anything that might solve my problem. I recently bought a new computer and I wanted to install Linux Mint. After the installation was complete, I logged in and installed a few drivers. I got this little message in the upper right corner that said something like "Drivers available" or something similar. So after I installed the ATI driver, I had to reboot. The computer started up normal, the Mint logo appeared as it was loading and right when the log in screen should've appeared, my screen turned black. I didn't even hear the 'ding' sound it usually makes. So, unable to log in (or do anything else), I reinstalled Mint and tried to download the driver from ATI's website. I am, however, not so familiar with Linux and was unable to install that driver, because I didn't know how to install it :? .

Now, I use an ATI Radeon HD 5670 card, so I figured I had to download the ATI Radeon HD 5xxx driver, right? I found this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=41262 around here on this forum, but I still don't understand how to install it. (Specifically, how to use the terminal, I don't get what he means with blablablah.)

So, could someone please clarify this for me? I hope that I won't get a black screen after I manually install the driver. But if I would, how could I solve it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: ATI Radeon - Black Screen (?) (newbie)

Post by remoulder »

RandomHaven wrote:I don't get what he means with blablablah.
He means replace that with the version numbers of the file you download.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”