Is it possible to upgrade video drivers?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Timbot2000

Is it possible to upgrade video drivers?

Post by Timbot2000 »

I'm currently running Mint 8, and am having intermittent trouble with X hanging during some Flash video operations where it did not hang before in 7. I was wondering if I could upgrade the driver to the Xserver intel driver v2.11. Problem is, I cannot get the package to show up in the package manager, no matter how I tweak the software sources. Anybody know if this is possible, or how to do it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Is it possible to upgrade video drivers?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As I remember, there was a package in Update Manager, level 4. The title was something like "Xserver-xorg video driver Intel". The package was an upgrade for the driver for the Intel on-board graphics card. This may be what you need.
Timbot2000

Post by Timbot2000 »

Well, In the case of v2.11 it is not possible. Mint 8 still freezes occasionally on certain graphic operations (flash games, etc.), I'm gonna try to re-install Isadora and equip it with the unofficial 2.11 drivers off x-org as per the advice on the Ubuntu wiki for this bug as it seems the most straightforward and elegant solution.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes
As for Helena, I think it is just the cruddy kernel at that point.

As an aside, I also have an 1815 machine running Helena fluxbox flawlessly, and I know the graphic problems are only with i845 and i855 cards. Is it me, or did the developers just skip over the middle models "OK 815 and 945 work fine! We're done!" :P
distrohopper

Post by distrohopper »

An older kernel isn't necessarily a bad thing (unless theres any MAJOR security risks). Newer is definitely not always better.
RR99i

Post by RR99i »

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Thought since my problem involves what this thread is about, I would post here. I have Linux Mint 9 (isadora). I've tried Ubuntu 10.04, but like Linux Mint 9 better. Since both are built upon the same distro, I'm having the same problem. It's with my Intel 945. When it comes to PlayOnLinux for games and flash videos on YouTube/other sites, that's where I see slowdown. It's mostly with Windows games from PlayOnLinux. I know about the latest driver 2.11.0, but it doesn't seem ready for install. I heard the next major release of Linux Mint/Ubuntu will fix the Intel graphics problems...

I was going to post about this problem on the Ubuntu forum. But since I'm enjoying Linux Mint more, I would post here. Any help on what I should do? Since I'm new to Linux, maybe I'm missing a package or doing something wrong. If not, maybe have to wait for a fix.
efbe

Post by efbe »

Same as above poster..i have an Intel on board D865 GLC video card and it's laggy when it comes to watching youtube videos etc on Mint 9.. not sure what i'm doing wrong as well.
Mcz

Post by Mcz »

Same card on a Compaq laptop. Unsure if I have issues, but I saw a post asking if there is an etc\X11 folder with an xorg.conf file. I believe I have that correct. I did not have the file however. The user had severe issues and it was recommended to delete the file and reboot.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”