No picture while booting liveCD. Can't install latest mint.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Red_Cherry

No picture while booting liveCD. Can't install latest mint.

Post by Red_Cherry »

Dear community, (sorry, my english isn't perfect)

I searching a few weeks for a fix to install mint at my computer.
Since i got a new mainboard, i'm not be able to boot the liveCD.
If i use the normal boot option, i got a screen which is 30% black and 70% green filled.
The pc seems to booting normaly, but i can't see anything.
If i try to boot in compatiblity mode, the screen will go to black only.
I tried some other linux distributions like suse or ubuntu too, with same effect.
But i didn't got any error message and i don't be a linux crack because my first OS was windows for years.
I didn't wish to install windows 7, to big, to colorful, and something more.
Mint is running at my laptop very well and i wish to change from XP to Mint at my pc too.

My pc:

Mainboard: GA-M85M-US2H (rev. 1.3)
Grafikcard: Onboard Geforce 8200
RAM: 2 GB DDR-II 800
Sound: onboard (2 speaker analog output mode)
CPU: Athlon X2 4000+ EE
HDD: Samsung HD103UJ 1000GB

Has anyone any idea how i can install linux mint there? :/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: No picture while booting liveCD. Can't install latest mi

Post by dawgdoc »

See this post -- it addresses a similar issue and provides links to two solutions.

The first fixes the Kernel Modesetting (KMS) problem that is being seen frequently. The second related to a vesa graphics problem.
Red_Cherry

Post by Red_Cherry »

Thanks for the first, it works. I could install it. But i got the same problem now with my installed Mint.
And because it is the only OS at my disk, i don't have a bootmenu. So i can't fix it a secondtime.
Do you know how i can fix it?

greetings :)
Red_Cherry

Post by Red_Cherry »

I'm sorry, i decide to switching back to xp, i've 2 options, changing my hardware into linux compatible or using Windows.
But these difficulties aren't my opinion of a simple and useful OS. It could be my hardwares fault, i don't know.
But i don't have enought money to buy new hardware and not enough time and endurance to make it work, so i need to switching back to MS Windows.

But thanks for help.

Greetings
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Red_Cherry wrote:And because it is the only OS at my disk, i don't have a bootmenu.
During the boot process, hit the spacebar to show the grub menu. Then either the <e> or <tab> key to edit the boot options. Enter the nomodeset command as you did before.
Red_Cherry wrote:Thanks for the first, it works. I could install it. But i got the same problem now with my installed Mint.
...Do you know how i can fix it?
Follow the instructions in this post to make the nomodeset option permanent. This is the procedure I followed on a 6 or 7 year old desktop.
moloch16

Post by moloch16 »

Well, I had a problem where there was no video output on the DVI port of my video card, but there was output on the VGA port. So if you have two video ports, try switching the monitor to the other one.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”