No Wake from Standby nVidia

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrisp1000

No Wake from Standby nVidia

Post by chrisp1000 »

Hi all, I have a DELL Latitude E6500 laptop with nVidia Quadro 160M graphics card running dual boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint 9 Gnome.

When I shut the lid the laptop seems to go to sleep, it switches off. but the power LED doesn't continue to flash and when I open the lid again it doesn't come back on. In power management I have the lid closing set to Suspend for both battery and mains.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can find lots of problems relating to ATI cards and fglrx but nothing that seems to relate to the problem I am having
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: No Wake from Standby nVidia

Post by proxima_centauri »

Can you run the following command in terminal? and then post the results back here please

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
chrisp1000

Post by chrisp1000 »

proxima_centauri wrote:Can you run the following command in terminal? and then post the results back here please

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Gladly :)

The results are:
Graphics:
Card nVidia G98M [Quadro NVS 160M] X.Org 1.7.6
Res: 1920x1200@50.0hz
GLX Renderer Quadro NVS 160M/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 3.2.0 NVIDIA 195.36.24
Direct Rendering Yes
chrisp1000

Post by chrisp1000 »

I should add that this feature worked perfectly on the same laptop using both V7 and V8 of Linux Mint Gnome.
chrisp1000

Post by chrisp1000 »

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this might be?
BenG

Post by BenG »

I am having the same problem on a Gateway M680. Graphics card is ATI Radeon Mobility X700.

As you said, I did not have this problem at Version 8. (Have also picked up another problem at V9: networking disables after standby/restart). I would really appreciate any ideas on how to fix this (if it is possible to fix it).

I did a little testing today, and it may be a system freeze rather than a graphics freeze- I couldn't get the caps lock key or anything else to function after standby.

Update: I installed Mint 9 xfce and there are no more problems. Everything seems to be working perfectly so far!
chrisp1000

Post by chrisp1000 »

Ok I tried a full reinstall of LM Gnome still have the problem, the power light stays on and it sounds like either a fan or the HD is still spinning quietly. When you open the lid nothing happens have to use the power switch (4 sec hold) to switch off. Can then power on normally.

Can anyone help, please.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Could you try uninstalling the Nvidia drivers first, reboot, and then try suspending and resuming your computer again? The most likely culprit for these type of issues are proprietary drivers (Nvidia/ATI).
chrisp1000

Post by chrisp1000 »

Thanks for the suggestion vincent, unfortunately it didn't fix the problem, although it did restore my boot screen to full prettiness 8)
vincent

Post by vincent »

The boot screen issue is a known one and has to do with Plymouth, kernel-mode setting, and the fact that neither ATI nor Nvidia supports KMS with their drivers at the moment while radeon and nouveau both support KMS and thus Ubuntu has decided to use KMS and Plymouth by default with Lucid, which has turned out to be a lethal combination for some *buntu users. :P

All right, a bit of searching on Launchpad confirms that this is a known problem:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/587778
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/345598
Some more stuff on the Ubuntu forums too. Haven't found any definitive solution yet, but I'm half asleep at the moment (it's 2 in the morning here :P ).

Apparently your computer can suspend with Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04/Mint Gloria 7, as noted here: http://www.linlap.com/wiki/dell+latitude+e6500. Kernel regression, maybe?
chrisp1000

Post by chrisp1000 »

Wow, thanks vincent much appreciated.

So if I understand this correctly I'm screwed, unless I want to do a kernel regression. not sure I am brave enough for that :( and I can either have 3D graphics OR a pretty boot screen, hmmmm, now that's a tough one };D

Many thanks for all your help
vincent

Post by vincent »

You can have both 3D graphics and a pretty boot screen; see here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/37

By the way, a "kernel regression" means a bug or issue in a later version of the Linux kernel, that was not present in earlier versions. In other words, it's a bad thing. :P
chrisp1000

Post by chrisp1000 »

vincent wrote:You can have both 3D graphics and a pretty boot screen; see here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/37
Sweet, have my cake and eat it! Nice one, thanks.
vincent wrote:By the way, a "kernel regression" means a bug or issue in a later version of the Linux kernel, that was not present in earlier versions. In other words, it's a bad thing. :P
Ahh, so not something I have to do so much as something to be fixed. :O

Thanks again vincent.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”