Problems with beryl solved

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please post in an adequate forum
could you post the outcome of fglrxinfo in a terminal
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - I can't know how much you all know :)
The mention of aiglx tells me a lot - ATI and aiglx is no good
Now run the command fglrxinfo in a terminal and copy the output (need to right click for copy) and submit it
If it says fglrx then it's no good as the closed source driver does not like aiglx
Jives
Level 1
Level 1

ATI + AIGLX = No go

Post by Jives »

As far as I know, you can't have Beryl work on ATI cards in any reliable way, since ATIs current drivers do not support compositing.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Strange indeed as Beryl supposedly only supports 24 bit! :shock:
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

It doesn't sound like he has the fglrx driver installed. He's probably using the open-source driver which does support AIGLX with ATI (on supported cards, anyway).

The 9700 Pro is supposed to be compatible with the open-source driver, but I had lots of stability problems with mine. Others don't seem to have issues though, so it may be a YMMV thing (different systems).

mcfly271271,

Try the guide here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_feisty ... ati_radeon

and follow the steps for setting up the driver and xorg.conf file (no need to install Beryl since it's already there). If you still get problems withe the OpenGL (3D) screensavers, then just don't use them (they have issues).

If you experience random lockups at other times then you may need to go to the proprietary ATI fglrx driver and run under xgl for Bery/Compiz (which is another set of headaches to solve). I've run quite a few ATI cards under linux and most worked well with either driver. The exceptions were my 9700 Pro which was very unstable with the default driver (hard locked the system frequently), but worked pretty well under fglrx & xgl; and my current X1950 Pro which I have yet to get working [GRRR!!].

Hopefully you can get your card working right, but if you continue to have trouble you might want to consider replacing it with something with an nVidia chipset, since their drivers support Linux better.

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thanks Tim - you are a rock when it comes to ATI!
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Only out of necessity. ;) I actually do prefer ATI in Windows, but in Linux... :roll:

Problems with the Radeon 9700 Pro seem to be related to the AGP bus speed. Although the card is supposed to support AGP 8X, it is much more stable at 4X. If your BIOS supports setting the AGP speed to 4X the 9700 will probably work fine. If your BIOS does not allow that, you will likely have problems. Setting the AGP speed in xorg.conf does not fix stability issues. I had no such issues with other models (my X800 XT PE ran great in Linux at 8X).

ATI cards, at least up to the X800 XT, have a resolution limit of 2x 1024x768 if you want to run Beryl/Compiz on dual monitors (max texture size of 2048). Without Beryl, or for single displays this isn't a problem. I haven't tried my X1950 on dualies yet, so I don't know if this limit applies to the newer card.

Cards up to the X800 XT seem to run the OpenGL screen savers veryl slowly (or not at all) with the fglrx driver. Other 3D apps (like games) are fine and run faster than the open-source driver. This does not seem to be a problem with my X1950 which runs the screensavers fine.

In general if you have a choice the open-source driver is preferred. It's just so much easier! And if your card is supported it works very well (with the notable exception of the 9700 Pro above). I recently rebuilt on old Pentium-III 800 with a Radeon64 card (seen as a Radeon 7200 64MB). That system is running Cassandra XFCE with Beryl and it runs fine on the open-source driver.

If you have to run the proprietary ATI fglrx binary driver then you will have to run your desk environment under XGL to use Bery or Compiz. This actually works pretty well for the most part. It is more difficult to set up, and there are some quirks, like having to exit XGL to get some 3D apps to run, and the strange green bars that appear at the top of some xvid/divx videos (switching the deinterlace mode on or off will often fix that).

Aloha, Tim
dracorX

don't DON'T install flgrx for ati radeon 9700

Post by dracorX »

Hi all.

First of all, I have radeon 9700 with beryl running fine. It is true, that you need to take 16 bit res.
For all ATI radeon 9700 users : don't - under any circumstances - install the proprietary drivers if you want beryl. I tingled around quite a lot checking how to make it work. It just doesn't.

With the free driver, however, it works just fine...
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

My experience with the 9700 Pro was quite the opposite of yours. Mine was VERY unstable with the open-source driver and worked much better with the ATI fglrx driver. I had ATI fglrx + XGL + Beryl running nicely.

I am currently running an ATI X1950 AGP with the fglrx driver from the Ubuntu repositories under XGL and it's working well. I have not been able to get any of the newer ATI drivers working with this card. There seems to be an issue with the AGP versions of the X1k series cards and the newer drivers, but the one in the repositories works and is easier to install. I have both Compiz-Fusion and the last svn build of Beryl installed and working.

Aloha, Tim

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”