Nvidia Graphic Card Driver İnstalling

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimmy10111

Re: Nvidia Graphic Card Driver İnstalling

Post by jimmy10111 »

simo wrote:
jimmy10111 wrote:Wow they really did make a recent driver for that card. IM very surprised at that.. Even though its 10 years old hardware.

What happens when you click on additional drivers? Does it say no proprietary drivers in use in system or does it show some driver that was loaded?

I wonder if the nouveau driver is loaded on your system..
Now you're talking Greek to me... how to load the nouveau driver??? I tried to follow your instructions in this Forum. All seemed to work well but then I got these error messages:

"the distribution-provided pre-install script failed"
"unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko' "

That's all I could do with this limited knowledge about Linux.
If you had the Nouveau driver loaded the nvidia installer would have refused to install the driver at the very beginning. The the distribution-provided pre-install script failed is benign I get that too even though its not needed.

The nvidia.ko is the issue and it will not continue with it missing.

Did you install the latest kernel image.. The auto update hides the level 4 and 5 which is what those are placed at.

To update the kernel. Open the Mint Update shield. Then click edit then go to preferences. Make the 4 and 5 level visible. Then click apply.. Then refresh the updates and then they will be listed. Install all them updates. Then try installing the driver again after a reboot.
jimmy10111

Post by jimmy10111 »

simo wrote:
jimmy10111 wrote:Wow they really did make a recent driver for that card. IM very surprised at that.. Even though its 10 years old hardware.

What happens when you click on additional drivers? Does it say no proprietary drivers in use in system or does it show some driver that was loaded?

Now you're talking Greek to me... how to load the nouveau driver??? I tried to follow your instructions in this Forum. All seemed to work well but then I got these error messages:

If you had the Nouveau driver loaded the nvidia installer would have refused to install the driver at the very beginning. The the distribution-provided pre-install script failed is benign I get that too even though its not needed.

The nvidia.ko is the issue and it will not continue with it missing.

Did you install the latest kernel image.. The auto update hides the level 4 and 5 which is what those are placed at.

To update the kernel. Open the Mint Update shield. Then click edit then go to preferences. Make the 4 and 5 level visible. Then click apply.. Then refresh the updates and then they will be listed. Install all them updates. Then try installing the driver again after a reboot.

If that does not work follow these steps here.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install ... -lynx.html

But for the install driver section 7. Use my steps on installing the drivers and see what happens.

Then just reboot to start the GUI instead of doing the "sudo service gdm start" by typing in sudo reboot.
forumito

Post by forumito »

I've manually "installed" latest Nvidia drivers using How to install nVidia 260.19.12 drivers in ubuntu 10.10/10.04 using ppa guide. Of course, I installed the 260.19.21 version.

First, all went well with these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
Then, when trying to launch Monitor Setup (from Start Menu), I was prompted to run

sudo nvidia-xconfig
command and afterwards "just restart the X-server". I was getting the

sudo: nvidia-xconfig: command not found
output, so I did

sudo /full/path/to/nvidia-xconfig
which was OK. Meanwhile, I had xorg.conf opened, so I saw how this initialized/changed it (the xorg.conf).

Rebooted ... and now I only get to splash screen ("Linux Mint: from freedom came elegance") where it freezes. I saw a flash of disk checking and left it alone for, say, 20 minutes ... but nothing happened. Now, everytime, it freezes at splash screen. :(

In short, what did I do wrong, what should I do to fix it, and, should I run it in Recovery mode and fix it there?

PS: Before using PPA (Personal Package Archive?) method above, I tried to install the Nvidia's drivers via .run file, so I've blacklisted nouveau drivers with

blacklist nouveau
in blacklist.conf and removed them with

sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
Nvidia's .run file also ordered me to kill gdm, so this is what I did:

sudo service gmd stop
and then I usually got OS freezed with last line saying Checking battery state [OK]?!
Last edited by forumito on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
jimmy10111

Post by jimmy10111 »

simo wrote:

Try updating the kernel and then try installing the driver again.. To update the kernel. Open up mint update then go to edit then preferences. Select the level 4 and 5 updates. Apply them all.. Then try installing the driver again..

I was googling up this nivida.ko and got some hits for fixing this for ubuntu.. Since mint is based on Ubuntu I think it will work the same. It was something with the kernel not being right.

The error message about the distribution-provided pre-install script failed is benign does not need it.
simo

Post by simo »

jimmy10111 wrote:
simo wrote:

Try updating the kernel and then try installing the driver again.. To update the kernel. Open up mint update then go to edit then preferences. Select the level 4 and 5 updates. Apply them all.. Then try installing the driver again..

I was googling up this nivida.ko and got some hits for fixing this for ubuntu.. Since mint is based on Ubuntu I think it will work the same. It was something with the kernel not being right.

The error message about the distribution-provided pre-install script failed is benign does not need it.
I followed your advice with same result. Tried also to uninstall nVidia drivers - same result i.e error message saying "unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko' ". What puzzles me is that after uninstalling the drivers I didn't get any error message during the next boot. Probably I wasn't able to remove all the necessary bits.

I guess I have to be satisfied with what I have.
auzty

Post by auzty »

hello,i get confused about installing the NVIDIA DRIVER for my MINT,
i'm a newbie in LINUX, just installing MINT a few days ago.
i can't install the NVIDIA driver
my VGA is NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS 256mb
i was try the latest driver "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.21.run"
after it, my X server didn't start, and i faced with terminal interface >.<
i must edit the xorg.conf driver to "vesa" instead of "nvidia" to start the X server.

anyone help...

(sorry for my bad englisH)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”