nvidia Geforce4 mx 420 install drivers julia mint 10

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
manaurys

nvidia Geforce4 mx 420 install drivers julia mint 10

Post by manaurys »

ok my 1 post cause im new so be nice
i havent been able to install my video card in mint 10 julia i know is i knowed issue in ubuntu 10.10 but the new drivers from the nvidia site fix that i donwload the file from the nvidia site but i cant get to install the run file

i did this sudo gdm stop && cd ~/Downloads && sh <nvidia Driver>.run but a get that theres no such file or directory

i have been able to get to the installer by doing this (if on my desktop), in terminal type
sh NVIDIA driver.run but i get that the pre-install script faile

i need help please but the easy way possible im very new and this is all i can do
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneC

Re: nvidia Geforce4 mx 420 install drivers julia mint 10

Post by GeneC »

Hi

I am new too, but cant you use the mint supplied nvidia drivers? They work fine for both my nvidia cards...

Go to = system>administration>additional drivers.

Just select the recommended nvidia driver. I think there are two. Works fine. :)

Gene
manaurys

Post by manaurys »

no mint dint install my drivers and if i do that it say no propietari drivers are installed on the system and theres nothing to selec from im using linux mint 10 rc
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Mint wont install the driver automatically. You have to do it yourself.

Again. GO to = ADMINISTRATION>ADDITIONAL DRIVERS. Mint will search for the right driver and it does suggest two nvidia drivers. One is recommended . See screenshot below

Just tell MINT to "activate" it, and it will download and install the driver. Reboot for it to take effect. :wink:

EDIT:

If there are no drivers offered, then I guess your card must be older and not supported??

If that doesnt work go to compiz = preferences>apperance>visual effects. Choose " extra". (OR EVEN "NORMAL") Mint will search for a driver for you. At least it did for me..

Good Luck :wink:

Gene
manaurys

Post by manaurys »

no is not supported in this version but theres people using and i want and esay way to installed is for a nvidia geforce4 mx 420
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Just to be clear.

The MINT nDivia driver does not have to be specifically for your video card. If either of the two nvidia drivers are offered try each? I have nVidia GeForce 7200, and the suggested driver works excellently... If neither are offered. Mint doesn't supply a driver for your card. I guess someone more experienced may be able to tell you more. Sorry I could not be of more help!

Gene
manaurys

Post by manaurys »

dude i know that what im saying is that my card is not supported in this version but theres people using it and im asking is someone know how but in an easy way cause i dont know anything abut linux i like just poinst and clicks

Edit: well the nvidia driver were update to work now will they be added to automatic install like in other linux mint versions

Linux Display Driver - x86
Version:

96.43.19 Certified
Release Date:

Operating System:

Linux
Language:

English (U.S.)
File Size:

15.7 MB

Download

Release Highlights
Supported products
Additional information

* Added support for X.Org xserver 1.9.
* Added support for X.Org xserver 1.8.
* Updated nvidia-installer to detect the nouveau kernel module and fail with an appropriate error message.

Note to SuSE users: please read the SuSE NVIDIA Installer HOWTO before downloading the driver.

Installation instructions: Once you have downloaded the driver, type " sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.19.pkg1.run" to install the driver. NVIDIA now provides a utility to assist you with configuration of your X server configuration file. See the README or run 'man nvidia-xconfig' for details on usage and instructions for those wishing to edit their X config file by hand.

If you have any questions or problems, please check the NVIDIA Linux Discussion forum. If you do not find an answer to your question there, you can send email (in English) to linux-bugs@nvidia.com .

When emailing linux-bugs@nvidia.com, please attach an nvidia-bug-report.log, which is generated by running "nvidia-bug-report.sh".
GeForce 4 MX series:
MX 440, MX 420, MX 440-SE, MX 420 (AGP 8X), MX 440 (AGP 8X), MX 460, MX 4000, MX 440SE (AGP 8X), MX Integrated GPU

Quadro NVS series:
NVS 290, NVS 285, NVS 440, NVS 280, NVS 50, NVS 210, NVS 450, NVS 295, NVS 55/280 PCI, NVS 420

Quadro 4 Go series:
500 GoGL, 700 GoGL, 550 XGL

Quadro 2 Go series:
MXR/EX/Go

GeForce 4 Ti series:
Ti 4600, Ti 4200 (AGP 8X), Ti 4200, Ti 4800 SE, Ti 4800, Ti 4400

GeForce 2 series:
Ti 200, Ti 500, GeForce3

Quadro 2 MXR series:
Quadro2 MXR/EX/Go

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”