restricted drivers and ubuntu/mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
the.phantom

restricted drivers and ubuntu/mint

Post by the.phantom »

yes i have tried searching before i posted

i and a few friends all use ubuntu or mint ( a small senior citizen group)

we are all lightweight but have had no major troubles till now

with 11.04 from ubuntu and your rc ( all)
i have horrible screen resolution because no restricted drivers
are they going to be available?
the old fashioned way is a bit too much for us
we all have g force series 6 or 5 cards
all are about 2 gig processors, 2 gig memory

we can't run version 10.4 or 10.10 forever
will we have to start looking for something else or did we miss something?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
amina

Re: restricted drivers and ubuntu/mint

Post by amina »

Hi,
I do not have an answer but I think you should not worry at all.
These versions have not even been released - of course there could be some things that are not perfect at this time.
Have not tried them myself but I am sure if it is really difficult to install those drivers, others will complain and it will be fixed very soon.
You should not use 10.04 and 10.10 forever - but they are quite recent releases(actually one LTS and the most recent release) so they are still supported long enough :)
If you are satisfied with them at the moment, and if you do not feel like installing the drivers "the old fashioned way" you should not upgrade until these issues are sorted out.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: restricted drivers and ubuntu/mint

Post by TBABill »

Fortunately 10.04 has another two years before you have to worry about support for it. Ikey, one of the devs, is working on a tool to help automate or ease the process of installation of proprietary drivers in LMDE. That will make the transition from Ubuntu to a Debian based Mint much easier for Ubuntu users if they decide to try Mint based on Debian. That should help tend to your situation as well :) At least you'll have another option soon.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. I was unaware Ikey is no longer working on Mint. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69961

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”