[SOLVED] Mint 10 Julia: Problem with Nvida drivers on DDR3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bob E

[SOLVED] Mint 10 Julia: Problem with Nvida drivers on DDR3

Post by Bob E »

I don't know if it's a problem with the onboard graphics, a RAM issue, a DDR3 issue, or something else. (I've got another board with the exact same chipset, except that one is DDR2, and it runs Mint 10 visual effects perfectly.)

I just put together a new system, my first experience with DDR3. I installed Mint 10 (32 bit) and all is well until I installed the Nvida drivers. I changed the visual effects from None to Normal, and now the desktop is really "gummy". For instance, if I want to move an open window, it's as if the window is stuck to the desktop, and when it does move, it only moves about a quarter of an inch. But if I switch the visual effects back to None, everything is OK, except I can't customize anything.

The onboard video chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 7025.
The RAM is PNY 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666). I ran Memtest 86+ for 8 hours. No issues reported.

Just to test it with something different, I did a complete install of Ubuntu 10 10 just to see what happens. Same thing.

So, I'm at a loss. I don't know what could be causing the "gummy" effect. Does Linux with the Nvida driver not agree with DDR3? (This doesn't sound logical to me, but I don't have any extra DDR3 to swap around to see what happens.)

If it IS an onboard graphic problem, or a RAM problem, I'm still within the 30 day return policy.

Thanks for any feedback on this problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HorrorCode

Re: Mint 10 Julia: Problem with Nvida drivers on new DDR3 sy

Post by HorrorCode »

This sounds like an issue with the gpu to me, I did some googling and found a couple links. these 2 look promising:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/573455
http://gnubyexample.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -less.html

specifically the first one which should help install more stable drivers. just out of curiosity, are you using the same drivers on both machines as well?
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Hi HorrorCode, thanks for the reply.
HorrorCode wrote: just out of curiosity, are you using the same drivers on both machines as well?
Yes. On the one I'm having trouble with I tried all choices of drivers, but they all acted the same.

The first link you posted is about start-up and resolution, and that's not happening on start-up.
The second link is not really the problem either because that guy was getting an "Unknown NVIDIA chipset" message. I am getting list of available drivers. I thought about what he said about getting a third party graphics card, but that will have to wait due to cash.

But you might be right about the gpu. No product is 100% perfect production, so I may have a bad board. It happens.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Random babble ... which I like to do. Esp when I don't actually have to do the work or take any risk of borkage doing the junk I suggest to others. :D

Tis a 64bit system, might try a 64bit Mint ? Also although seems many people aren't overly content with it. The newest buntu stuff has an updated kernel me thinks. Mint 11 ... being the leap frogging Mint release following buntu's. Should also inherit said new kernel. New kernel should have better hardware support for newer hardware ... not that ddr3 is newer so much. Perhaps could give Mint 11 a test drive on your system too ? Not like it's much of a challenge to dual/tri/quad ... whatever boot a comp. Also very easy to get rid of any OS you don't want. From you post ... seems you are a tech literate person. So doubting any of this would be much of a challenge or stretch for ya.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

I agree 11 SHOULD have better performance/support on a newer machine, but I'm also typing this from an HP DM1Z with Mint 10 on it, 64 bit yes, but 32 bit should not make a difference in regards to the gpu.

The first link was a bit of a different issue, but as it involved more stable drivers/nvidia specific drivers to the same model gpu, I would suggest trying it, and using the drivers from nvidia for sure. I cant be certain in your exact case as I dont have your gpu, but I too have issues with compiz if I use the Ubuntu/open-source drivers for my chipset, but with the ones direct from ATI/AMD everything is smooth, and looks much better. Without them I can never get 3d effects etc going. Just a thought, and sorry if I drag on a bit, literally just opened my eyes.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Can't hurt trying 11 and 10/64bit regardless. Well other than a couple hours and cds/dvds ( if ya don't have RW's ) or a usb drive. :D

That is something I've found curious. So many people with 64bit procs, running the 32bit Mint stuff. Been wondering why ... Summin wrong with the 64bit software ? Bugs in it ? Just curious in general if there are good reasons behind that or ...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Mint 11 has an 'experimental driver' Nouveau 3D in the Additional Drivers program. This driver can run Compiz fine on most NVidia cards (but not yet on GeForce GT/GTX/GTS 400/500 series aka the Fermi cards). Maybe this works better.

Or you can also install libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental on Mint 10 if you want to use the driver. Please remove the NVidia one before trying this.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

You're correct, it's definitely worth a shot either way. I don't see much difference between 64 bit and 32 bit besides the memory addressing and execute disable bit, i dont really have a specific reason for running amd64, but if it was windows, i would for sure, as thats where the buffer overflow protection actually comes in handy lol.

edit: on a side note, there are still alot of, even linux apps, that are supported only on 32bit, unless you install the ia32libs Perhaps its just been overlooked as not working, since it does work on 32 bit, and someone should clue in the whole 32 bit community on how to install 32 bit libraries? I suspect theres something else though.
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

I'll give the 64 bit Mint 10 a try. I'm just used to running 32 bit XP, and my preference of 32 bit is because all of my XP third-party software and tools are not available in 64 bit. So, it's just habit to pick the 32 bit download.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'll post again after installing 10/64.
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Well what do you know. Mint 10 64 bit installed...the "gummy" graphics problems are gone!
HorrorCode wrote: I don't see much difference between 64 bit and 32 bit .
I noticed this right away, other than the graphics move real smooth now. :D I also noticed it runs a bit hotter.

Audacious and AWN are 64 compatable. These two are the most important...for now.

Well, I'm good to go now. Thanks to all for the help!
HorrorCode

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 10 Julia: Problem with Nvida drivers on DD

Post by HorrorCode »

Glad you got it going, and I hope you didnt misunderstand what I said in my other post, but if you install the 32 bit libraries, i.e ia32libs should pull everything you need, you can run any 32 bit apps on 64 bit without any problems except for say some drivers which may have issues.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”