Replacing onboard graphics with external card

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lduperval

Replacing onboard graphics with external card

Post by lduperval »

Hi,

I needed more memory on my graphics card, so I bought a old nVidia-based card:

Bus Type PCI
Graphics Engine NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Core Clock 567 MHz
RAMDAC 400 MHz

I turned off the onboard chip. I managed to get the card to boot with Windows, and installed the nVidia drivers there. The card works.

However, when I try to boot the (old) Mint installation, I get a grey screen and that's it. How do I get it to work? Do I have to replug the onboard graphics, download the nVidia drivers, do some config and then reboot? Or is there another way? I tried booting in recover mode (I suppose it's the same thing as failsafe mode?) and still nothing is displayed.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

L
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Replacing onboard graphics with external card

Post by xenopeek »

From the GRUB boot menu, select the recovery mode as you did before--but don't press Enter yet! Press the Tab key to edit the boot parameters, and at the end of that line, before the final double dash (--), add: nomodeset

That should allow you to boot your desktop with the new graphics card enabled, using a basic video mode. Then go to Menu > Control Center > Additional Drivers and install the driver for your card.
lduperval

Re: Replacing onboard graphics with external card

Post by lduperval »

Aha! I knew there was a simpler way!

Thanks, I'll try it tonight,

L

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”