Budget Graphics Card Recommedation?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brencam

Budget Graphics Card Recommedation?

Post by brencam »

I posted this message http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=83981 re dual monitor issues I'm having migrating to Linux Katya (from Helena). My current card is an ATI Radeon x600 that seems to no longer supported. (No way to get dual monitor support to work correctly afaik - apparently changes in the kernel have rendered my old card redundant (it still works with 1 monitor, but no longer supports virtual screen mode setup).

Acc to other comments on the forum it looks like I will need to replace my graphics card - possibly with something that uses the nvidia chipset. I need a dual head card capable of supporting hi res (1680*1050) or better resolution.
This is for an older desktop system - I'm not into gaming so I'm looking for something stable than has dual monitor support in Linux - no real high end graphics cards required - preferable less than $100.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
BrendanC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneC

Re: Budget Graphics Card Recommedation?

Post by GeneC »

I had successfully been using a EVGA nVidia GeForce GT210 1GB card for all sorts of Linux distros with no problems.
Got it from eBay for $39 shipped. Its not the speediest. I upgraded to a more expensive GTX460 ($150), and for 99% of the things I do. I can see no real difference. For the price the Gt210 is real nice. Both cards use the latest Nvidia drivers in Synaptic.

EDIT:

I might mention that the GTX460 does NOT have any of the problems with xorg that have been plaguing the Mint Debian (LMDE) editions.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”