Toshiba L755 blank screen + dim screen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cebalrai

Toshiba L755 blank screen + dim screen

Post by cebalrai »

Same issue for me here as welll, using an AMD A6 APU on a brand-new Toshiba Satellite L755 laptop. I went and tried Linux Mint 11 as well, which does about the same thing...

I'm really stuck here... I've tried compatibility mode, using the nomodeset -- input, but nothing works... Nomodeset boots to a *very* dim desktop at minimum resolution that cannot be changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Blank screen on boot

Post by oxygenfarm »

Same/similar here, also with a Toshiba L755. I thought it was me!!!
cebalrai

Re: Blank screen on boot

Post by cebalrai »

I just spent hours trying things but I'm getting nowhere... *desperate plea for advice*
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Toshiba L755 blank screen + dim screen

Post by xenopeek »

Posts split by moderator from topic http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=91114

New problems deserve new topics. So please post your specific problem in a new topic next time (unless you have the same problem on the same hardware). This helps you get relevant support, and also helps those with the same hardware find your posts. Thanks :wink:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

cebalrai wrote:Same issue for me here as welll, using an AMD A6 APU on a brand-new Toshiba Satellite L755 laptop. I went and tried Linux Mint 11 as well, which does about the same thing...

I'm really stuck here... I've tried compatibility mode, using the nomodeset -- input, but nothing works... Nomodeset boots to a *very* dim desktop at minimum resolution that cannot be changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
I think you are facing two problems;

1. You have not yet installed the driver for your graphics card, so nomodeset allows you to get to the desktop but you need to install the proper graphics card driver for you to be able to change resolutions. You can look in "Additional Drivers" application (search for it in the menu) to see if it is automatically detected, and install it.

2. Apparently there is a problem with the brightness control, this is likely a problem with the acpi system. You may try some tips from this topic: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=91047

To be able to help further, I'd need the actual model name of the laptop, to figure out what hardware you have. Probably it is somewhere on a sticker on the bottom, or some such convenient place :roll: For example, a full model name would be:
Toshiba Satellite L755-S5216
Or if you were able to resolve the brightness problem, please run the following command from the Terminal and share the output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fc 0
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

xenopeek wrote:
cebalrai wrote:Same issue for me here as welll, using an AMD A6 APU on a brand-new Toshiba Satellite L755 laptop. I went and tried Linux Mint 11 as well, which does about the same thing...

I think you are facing two problems;

1. You have not yet installed the driver for your graphics card, so nomodeset allows you to get to the desktop but you need to install the proper graphics card driver for you to be able to change resolutions. You can look in "Additional Drivers" application (search for it in the menu) to see if it is automatically detected, and install it.

2. Apparently there is a problem with the brightness control, this is likely a problem with the acpi system. You may try some tips from this topic: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=91047

To be able to help further, I'd need the actual model name of the laptop, to figure out what hardware you have. Probably it is somewhere on a sticker on the bottom, or some such convenient place :roll: For example, a full model name would be:
Toshiba Satellite L755-S5216
Or if you were able to resolve the brightness problem, please run the following command from the Terminal and share the output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fc 0

I looked in the additional drivers panel but it's empty.

Exact model number is L755D-S5359.

I tried the things on that other topic but nothing helped :(

Thanks
AfterMarketLife

Post by AfterMarketLife »

I have a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5204. In a LiveCD I appended "nomodeset" to the boot string and could boot into a terminal. Installed the radeon video driver. From there startx worked fine. Got a full install alongside Win7 and Arch Linux. When I boot into Mint I get a blank screen. I tried adding "nomodeset,acpi_backlight=vendor,radoen.agpmode=x" you name it. Nothing comes up not even a terminal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[ferris@archmobile ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Complex
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9647
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SMBus Controller (rev 13)
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson LPC Bridge (rev 11)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson PCI Bridge (rev 40)
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:16.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:16.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”