[solved ]Firewall ... a question ..

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crypto

[solved ]Firewall ... a question ..

Post by crypto »

dose anyone know of an active firewall builder ?

What i mean is, one that can be set to deny Incoming ... and ASK when there is out going? so you can set up as follows ..

incoming deny
outgoing ASK

be nice if there was a plugin or something for ..... firestarter, or the default one ... ufw i think ..

~crypto
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firewall ... a question

Post by xenopeek »

Check this topic: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&p=438573. Especially Leopard Flower seems to match what you need.
crypto

Post by crypto »

Great, thanx ... the page for it is here .. http://sourceforge.net/projects/leopardflower/ ... is there a way to vote for which project make it into the repo? could this one be added?

~crypto
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Though Leopard Flower matches what you described, I'm not sure it is the best solution out there. It was just the first I found :wink:

Currently it looks like it is only available as a source package, so you will have to compile it (sounds scarier that it is). The Linux Mint developers are but a small team, and I think they have enough to do without also becoming package maintainers for various applications. So I'm not optimistic about this idea getting implemented. But perhaps I'm seeing this wrong :wink: It would perhaps be a better idea to ask the application's developers to build Debian packages or create a PPA for it on Launchpad (a build service that builds applications from source and makes them available to Ubuntu users, which includes Linux Mint users).

Ideas for software inclusion you can submit as an idea on the community website: http://community.linuxmint.com/. Though be ready for the reply "Linux is not Windows", as the need for an outbound firewall on Windows developed from all the spyware and other malware that is so prevalent on Windows, where you basically can't trust your own computer (exaggerating, but you get my drift). Though it would be silly to say such threats are not present on Linux, it is nowhere near as big an issue. Hence many users only need a strong inbound firewall to protect them from remote attackers (as they only install software from signed and trusted sources the risk of having spyware or other malware on their computer is almost non-existent).
crypto

Post by crypto »

Ya i get ya ... I gave a look, most of the other have been abandon ... and that one is still active .. and ya I know how to compile i have already and got it working ... sorta needs a bit of work ... haven't had the time to see why it ask for the same program over and over it's like the rules are not saving ....

... and ya i actually would like to know how to build a deb my self but i haven't had the time to look it up ...

I'm no noob, been 10 years now at least ... but i still have the odd problem... and i really need to learn the file system better ... like i know where to find most configs, it's the booting i want to lean more about, and the shell ... bash scripts and python 3 i guess because it will replace py2 .. .. ,

I'm running the Debian testing ... LMDE ... love it other than the odd problem, and the seg fault the driver give mes after the update, that i would like to fixed ...

~crypto

which reminds me ... truecrypt -- no deb ??? i got it installed but i thought it would have been in the repo..
crypto

Post by crypto »

and ya as for the fire wall, i want it just because I'm paranoid ...

and i like to know when programs are calling out ... not to mention that i'll probably have a sever running as well ... so if i set the security up wrong it would be good to see if some program call killmysystem wants to call out ... assuming they could get root ..
jesica

Re: [solved ]Firewall ... a question ..

Post by jesica »

you can also give iptables a go

Return to “Non-technical Questions”