unable to delete corrupted files?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jazzman

unable to delete corrupted files?

Post by jazzman »

Hi folks,

this is the issue: there is no way to erase some files and directories from my MP3 Player. I am the user owner of the files but I cannot delete them (with rm, rmdir or wipe commands); cannot change permissions either... (even though this will not solve the problem). This is me return message when "wipe" used:

Okay to WIPE 1 regular file ? (Yes/No) yes
14. Keep It Greaseyddddd.mp3: open error: Read-only file system
Operation finished.
0 files wiped and 0 special files ignored in 0 directories, 0 symlinks removed but not followed, 1 error occured.

I will to delete them on an Windows XP, unsuccessfully. Any idea will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: unable to delete corrupted files?

Post by Reorx »

At a windohs command prompt type

Code: Select all

chkdsk X: /f
and replace X with the drive letter of the device. This should repair the disk errors. Then try deleting the files you are looking to get rid of...

Good luck...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Reorx wrote:At a windohs command prompt type

Code: Select all

chkdsk X: /f
and replace X with the drive letter of the device. This should repair the disk errors. Then try deleting the files you are looking to get rid of...

Good luck...
finally I decided to format the device memory (that was risky and uncertain about the result...). Fortunately, after placing the firmware file, it booted properly and. This is not the right way to do it and I don't know what will I do if it happens again, but... for now the MP3 player is working again.

Thanks for your suggestion.
windtalker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by windtalker »

If it does happen again, try sudo rm -r name-of-file

Return to “Non-technical Questions”