Mint without the Linux?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Mint without the Linux?

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Clem,

I don't remember if this topic was discussed yet or not.

It's about the distro name.

I was thinking that you should drop the Linux part of the name. I think that the Linux part may scare some new users. As windows is not DOS Windows, and the Mac is not Unix Leopard, I think that Mint should do the same.

From the user point of view who cares what is the code base of the OS? They just want a usable and nice experience.

I think that Ubuntu at some point have got a good recognition as a "brand" without the Linux part attached.

I'm sure that this distro si mature enough to be considered just Mint or MintX or whatever, but drop the "scary" part.

It was just a though.

elbeto

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint without the Linux?

Postby Husse on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:24 pm

It has been discussed (don't ask me for a link - I have at least some memory left :)) and Linux Mint is the name....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby clem on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:37 pm

There are pros and cons on both sides of the debate. Mint is a lot of thing, Linux Mint uniquely identifies our project. I also disagree with the statement that "Linux" is scary, IMHO it sounds good to people who know about it and raises curiosity to others. As for Windows, ok it's not DOS Windows, but "Microsoft" Windows... so how about that for a scary part?! :)

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby exploder on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:49 pm

I like "LinuxMint", it just plain has a good sound to it.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby ed@Mint on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Another fact is that "Mint" without linux might be an existing registered brand.
In Belgium, for instance, there is a radio which is called Mint...

/me loves listening to Mint on Linux Mint 8) :lol:
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby JAK on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:45 pm

I have to say from the time I start using Mint I've had this little wondering on my mind how a Linux flavor of Irish origin is called Mint and not Clover. :) or Lucky Linux :roll: How about Leprechaun Linux? :mrgreen:
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Postby McLovin on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:28 am

Them f**kin' kids, they're always stealing my LinuxMint :mrgreen:
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:43 am

Them f**kin' kids, they're always stealing my LinuxMint

Ah - so that's why you're so heavily armed....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Interesting enought, today I saw a couple of blogs talking about the efect of the Ubuntu name in the Linux community and for new users accostued to have or M$ or Apple and that's it.

That was exactly the intention of my original post. To argue that argument.

elbeto

Postby Zwopper on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:08 pm

The only other alternative from my horizon would be "MintOS", "Mint OS" or "OS Mint"...
I this case my vote would go to "MintOS"!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Fred on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:36 pm

For me Linux denotes "solid," "reliable." Both desirable qualities.

Must just be a difference in perspectives. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby McLovin on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I agree that to me Linux does bring an air of solid and reliable, but alot of us know Linux, know what Linux is all about. Someone who has never heard of Linux, or who has heard of Linux from even a few years ago, will think "major technological knowledge needed" or "Everything has to be done in a command line" as these are the the way things were not too long ago, but things have changes, and someone who only knows about Linux from before, will still have those ideas in their head. Now I'm not saying that Clem should change the name of Linux Mint, but I can see how someone could be scared off simply by the word "Linux"
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Cambo105 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:16 pm

I am vehemently opposed to calling it MintOS, its just to close to Mac OS....
Keep your stick on the ice.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ed@Mint on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:25 pm

I think a non-linux user wouldn't give another OS a try blindfully, unless someone shows him that OS.
So, in the case of Linux Mint, if somebody shows him, and he agrees it is indeed easier to use, then be "Linux" in the name or not won't change anything.
Just my thought...

Anyway, no offense, but i don't really see the point of this debate... I think Linux Mint won't change names :wink:
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MagnusB on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:34 pm

Removing Linux from the name wouldn't change that Mint is a part of the Linux family, "hiding" that just doesn't make any sense to me..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby foggytown on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:47 pm

I can see both sides of this argument.

There is online financial software named Mint and also Mint web stats. If you search google for "mint", LinuxMint is over half way down the first page of results.
So from a purely branding perspective, LinuxMint seems like the way to go.

LinuxMint is a great name, especially if you think about alternative meanings for the word mint--think mint as in mint condition...

just my nickel's worth...
--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cmost on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:16 am

Guest wrote:Clem,

I don't remember if this topic was discussed yet or not.

It's about the distro name.

I was thinking that you should drop the Linux part of the name. I think that the Linux part may scare some new users. As windows is not DOS Windows, and the Mac is not Unix Leopard, I think that Mint should do the same.

From the user point of view who cares what is the code base of the OS? They just want a usable and nice experience.

I think that Ubuntu at some point have got a good recognition as a "brand" without the Linux part attached.

I'm sure that this distro si mature enough to be considered just Mint or MintX or whatever, but drop the "scary" part.

It was just a though.

elbeto

Not this again!!! No!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sundayrefugee on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:22 am

Why would MS name it DOS Windows? Wouldn't it be more accurate, not to mention less scary, nowadays, to call it NT Windows?

But - to the point. If a user isn't *fully* ready for Linux, they aren't *fully* ready for Mint, and shouldn't try it. Mint *IS* Linux. Any shady sort of label trickery is contemptible at best, and Mint, I'm sure, doesn't want the reputation as the distro that "fools" unwary users into installing it ;-)

A potential user is going to do themselves, and F/OSS, much bigger favors in the long-term by doing at least a simple googling and finding that Linux is simply nothing to be scared of (unlike, say, 10 years ago, when it *was* something to be afraid of running...), and finding out the *Linux Mint* takes that a step further in the positive.

A user should know full well that they are diving into Linux, or not bother.

My 2.3 cents, adjusted for labor ;-)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby elbeto on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Don''t worry, not a big deal, was just a comment. Anyway I'm still converting ex-windows people to Linux mint. :)
elbeto
Level 2
Level 2

Postby SpudGun on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:07 am

Linux Mint is a great name, if any name needs to change its UBUNTU, WHAT A STUPID NAME THAT IS, thats why i cant use it,
you cant show anyone what you use, cos they just fall about laughing, but Linux Mint is cool. :D
SpudGun

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Non-technical Questions