Post Your Desktop!

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It won't be in Bea, but it'll certainly be there in the release after that... (mid-January ??).
jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard »

Wow @ alansim. I have never seen some of those effects before. I can't wait to see what the Linux Mint team does with the 3D effects in Bianca.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Gee you guys are talented. They are all very good.

Wow!

Regards
John
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

looks very nice, but it has been around significantly longer than mint
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

OK, I give. How do you post a desktop picture. I've already taken a screen shot of it, and for a test, I copied it and posted it to a PM to myself...that didn't work.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Photobucket is another alternative.

http://removed/
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

LinuxMint 2.0 "Barbara" with the newest Beryl + Emerald in action & transparent cube enabled.

I really love this stuff :D
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Tiptup300 wrote:get the png on somewhere on your computer

upload it somewhere like http://filelabs.net , which is what I use and HIGHLY reccomend!

Get teh link which http://filelabs.net/ gives you, and then post it!
Uploaded to filelabs,net, but haven't found how to post my desktop to the forum.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:Uploaded to filelabs,net, but haven't found how to post my desktop to the forum.
It should have given you or shown you the URL to the picture after the upload. You then just post the URL of your image here and mark it with the "Img" tag from the editor here (the one for the forum).

Example ... I uploaded yet another screenshot to filelabs.net, and immediately after having uploaded it to filelabs.net it shows all the necessary information:

So all I need to do now is to copy that address, paste it here into the stuff I am writing now, mark it with my mouse, then click on the "Img" button of the forum's editor, and the result will be that you will see yet another screenshot:

antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Thanks to combined tutelage of Tipup300 and 900i, I have finally learned how to post my desktop to this forum. Of course, anyone who has read any of my previous posts will not be surprised that it is accompanied by a short story. So, check out the picture, and if you like, read the story.

In the late summer, the Midwest Antique Airplane Club hosts its annual fly-in in Brodhead, WI, USA. Held at a small country airport, it has come to mark the end of the summer flying season.

While it is little known outside the small circle of its members and friends, Broadhead does have some historic offerings, as well as a unique charm. For example, you can see the first Piper Cub, the oldest flying Cessna, and a plane once piloted by Charles Lindbergh.

Speaking of Charles Lindbergh, the engine that powered the Spirit of St. Louis across the Atlantic was a Wright-Whirlwind. There are seven known examples of this engine in existance today, one still hangs on the front of the Spirit in the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum. Five of the remaining six were at this fly-in.

If you are fortunate enough to fly into Broadhead you may encounter some youths asking for a donation. If you do, I suggest you contribute. See what happened to the Beech D-18, and poor soul that declined.

If it had been camouflaged TP, I'm certain the pilot would still be looking for this plane.

Don't expect to see a highly organized airshow complete with a daily precision aerobatic demonstration at Broadhead (after all, this ain't Oshkosh). In fact, the only truly organized activities are the suppers; chili on Thursday, fish on Friday, and pork chops on Saturday. It was fate, and the lure of pork chops, that brought so many of us together to witness the event now displayed on my desktop.

Because of the lack of formal airshow entertainment, some pilots will often take to the sky in an attempt to bring the crowd to their feet. In this case, that wasn't too difficult since we were all standing in line to eat.

Anyway, the plane in the lead is a Heath Parasol. The planes on either side are Aeronca C3s. All are of late 1920s or early 1930s designs and powered by 2-cylinder, 37-horse-powered (27-kilowatt) engines. These planes are attempting to make a low altitude, high speed pass.

Now, with all of 37 ponies up front, and a lot of tube and wire hanging out all over the place, low altitude isn't a problem. On the contrary, almost any altitude is problem. As for high speed...HA!!!...Forget it...Same story. In fact, it is often said these planes have hardly enough power to reach the crash. It is also said that although they can indeed kill you, they can barely do so.

So here we all stand, a captive audience, while three daredevils, unaware of their date with destiny, make their death defying run...When suddenly, from off to their right and on a collision course, a small flock of geese suddenly appears. After all, this is the domain of birds even if there are those pilots who contend that if God had meant birds to fly he would have put propellers on their beaks.

But fear not. The geese, in order to avoid an unrivaled scene of mayhem, death, and destruction (fur, feathers, and fuzz), made a sharp right-hand turn (urged on by the cheers of the crowd below), and led the motor-heads to glory.

After a short time, the geese, perhaps because they're bored, annoyed because they were being followed by a trio of noisy flying machines, or simply because they had to be some place faster than the bird-men could follow, pulled away and into Broadhead legend.

P.S. The pilots could easily hear our cheers. However, they mistakenly believed we were cheering for them.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Finally got something worth looking at. :D

Also using 3ddesktop to switch between virtual desktops, but that is not apparent from the screenie.

http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

900i wrote: Finally got something worth looking at. :D
Cool 8)
900i wrote:Also using 3ddesktop to switch between virtual desktops, but that is not apparent from the screenie.
Out of curiosity: But why aren't you using Beryl? (really just being curious here ... )

BTW, what's that applet in the background, on the right edge? The one measuring all kinds of things? SuperKaramba?

Regards,
Scorp123
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Not using Beryl because on my laptop I like to run low resource stuff as it's only 1.7Ghz flat out. My Sempron 2800+ is mainly used by my wife to play games, so I hardly ever use that, and she isn't bothered about anything flashy. The thingy on the right is Conky, again very low resource monitoring app that is very configurable.

http://conky.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

:)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

900i wrote: Not using Beryl because on my laptop I like to run low resource stuff as it's only 1.7Ghz flat out.
Hmmm, I got Beryl to run on a laptop with a CPU as slow as 1.4 GHz max. speed (Celeron-M, single core), but I had to disable some of the more CPU-intensive effects (e.g. wobbly windows, flames or beaming, window waves ... all disabled), but whatever effects I left activated are running very smooth.
900i wrote: The thingy on the right is Conky, again very low resource monitoring app that is very configurable.

http://conky.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
Cool stuff. I will take a closer look. It's always nice to find new toys one can play around with :D

Regards,
Scorp123
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Tiptup300 wrote:eww, photobucket, I see a "image not found" error in your future
Why? Do they lose their images from time to time or simply delete them after a while?
GoldNugget
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GoldNugget »

Your stunning pics of these 3D desktops motivated me to give Beryl another try. The installation was certainly easier than the last time I tried. Here's my Minty desktop in all its 3D glory. Wasted the whole weekend playing with the settings. God, I love technology.
[/img]
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint Desktop

Post by scorp123 »

niallabrown wrote:My stab at an original wallpaper for Linux Mint.
With all due respect and I really don't mean to insult you or hurt your feelings ... but with all honesty I totally don't like that wallpaper. :? Sorry to say so. :?
Louis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Louis »

scorp123 wrote:
niallabrown wrote:My stab at an original wallpaper for Linux Mint.
With all due respect and I really don't mean to insult you or hurt your feelings ... but with all honesty I totally don't like that wallpaper. :? Sorry to say so. :?
I like this wallpaper!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Louis wrote:I like this wallpaper!
well ... we all got different tastes :wink:
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

I like the one thats white in the corner and it's my new wallpaper.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”