mint special google search page....

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Re: mint special google search page....

Postby Jo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:45 pm

erginemr wrote:As already posted with a link before, to go back to the default Google search in Firefox is easy:

1. You need to install the "Add to Search Bar" add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682

2. Visit Google homepage (http://www.google.com), right click on the search text area and click on "Add to Search Bar" (or similar).

3. Then, click on the icon on the left of the Firefox Google search text box and select "Manage Search Engines" (or similar).

4. Delete the Google search item by Linux Mint and move the one you have just created to the top. And you are all done!

Dear erginemr,

A MASSIVE thanks for this...I've been trying to get the Mint Google Search off Firefox for a while now, and this was perfect!
Worked perfectly! Again, thanks for making this n00b a very happy one! :D

Regards,
Jo
Jo

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby lingenfr on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:13 pm

Even easier.

1) Go here http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engine ... anguage=en
2) Scroll or search down to "28. Major Engines"
3) Go to the first one, Google, click on it and install it. Check the box to start using it right away
4) Click the search drop down list
5) Click Manage search engines...
6) Delete the original Google.
7) Celebrate the death of silliness
lingenfr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MALsPa on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks, everyone. The Minty Firefox thing was really starting to get annoying.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Kangarooo on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Edit by Husse:
Content removed due to foul language
A registered user would have been warned or banned
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
Kangarooo

Postby gibbs1984 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:08 pm

I don't mind supporting Linux Mint in the Google search bar but is there anyway to get the Googlepedia add-on to work in it?
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bharani on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 am

The simplest way to make firefox use regular google search page is to install an addon named add to search bar (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682).
Then open google page right click the search box in google page and select add to search bar.
The search bar will be added to your search bar.
Then delete the old google search engine.
bharani
Level 2
Level 2

Postby hopetoregistersoon on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:14 am

what's the big fuss people???
click on the google logo, from the drop down menu select original google
hopetoregistersoon

Postby gibbs1984 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:48 am

bharani wrote:The simplest way to make firefox use regular google search page is to install an addon named add to search bar (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682).
Then open google page right click the search box in google page and select add to search bar.
The search bar will be added to your search bar.
Then delete the old google search engine.

Works a treat, thanks very much.
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Clifford on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:37 pm

I just installed Linux Mint over the weekend and this Mint Branded Firefox was really obnoxious. Thanks for the fixes.
I would have left it be if Google search had the same options as if I were to search Google itself. Personalized Google pages are disregarded for a few cents. A separate Google images search option doesn't fix anything.
I also noticed that it had been called "adware" by others in this thread. Quite honestly, I somewhat agree. It is an easy fix but it sure is not what I wanted. Direct from dictionary.com adaware is a software application in which advertisements are displayed while the program is running, esp. in pop-up windows or banners, and which often is installed without the user's knowledge or consent. I did consent to install Linux Mint but I had no idea that my personalized Google would be destroyed.
Other than that Linux Mint has been great. Thanks for the hard work. The mint menu is pretty spiffy.
Clifford

Postby Opera affected too... on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:08 pm

You did it to Opera too. That really sucks. Thanks for screwing with my awesome personalized google
Opera affected too...

Postby pluraldave on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:26 am

Tools->Preferences->Search

Add/edit your preferred search engine to make it the default.
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby equinox.enterprises on Mon May 04, 2009 2:57 pm

I have found a rather simple work-around to remedy the situation that works in both Opera and FF.

For Opera:
Go to google.com, and right-click in the search field; Click "Create search..." in that menu, that will bring up a "Search Engine" dialog. Input the following in that dialog: Name = google, Keyword = google, Address = already filled in automatically. Also check the boxes for "Use as default search engine," and "Use as Speed Dial search engine" ... Done. All functionality returned. This 'fix' will have to be done for each user on the system. The LinuxMint Google search will still available as an option when you search from that field if you choose Google with an uppercase G(oogle)

For Firefox:
Download the Google tool bar at http://toolbar.google.com/T6/intl/en/index.html and choose to download and install said tool bar. This is a per-user thing and does not require administrator privileges. Once installed, you can click on the "options" button in the tool bar to edit and configure functionalities and best of all, under layouts choose: "Replace Firefox search box and hide Google toolbar." That will at least make it look like the original FF search box, but with more and better features, such as, but not limited to, searched text highlighting. This is the only fix I have found that actually works. From what I can tell it's a very simple add-on that won't weight the computer down with un-needed code or privacy intrusion. This fix as well will need to be done on a per-user basis for any user who wants it.

No disrespect to the LM team, I really love the distro and hope you all do well in your endeavors, including making money like this, but it just seems too restrictive for some of us users I suppose.
equinox.enterprises
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Mon May 04, 2009 3:06 pm

as both hopetoregistersoon and pluraldave have pointed out, it's trivial to change in firefox, no need to install a toolbar or anything. Just select the original google from the drop-down list, or if you really want it every time, edit the preferences to make it default.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby hotplainrice on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Thank you very much guys. Can we submit a bug report to Mint devs for having a dysfunctional google search that doesn't have "Show options+" and "Advanced search"?

Cheers. :)
hotplainrice
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 pm

hotplainrice wrote:Thank you very much guys. Can we submit a bug report to Mint devs for having a dysfunctional google search that doesn't have "Show options+" and "Advanced search"?

Cheers. :)

Hello and Welcome to Linux Mint. As explained many times across the forums, those are some of the restrictions google places on it, not Mint. And you still have access to those functions by using the appropriate search syntax. For the vast number of googlers, the provided features are enough.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby jesica on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:54 am

I use Opera, i see if i save something in internet explorer it does not want to open up in firefox

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 8
Level 8

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:35 pm

staffie wrote:I use Opera, i see if i save something in internet explorer it does not want to open up in firefox

errr... that's nothing to do with mint, or google, or firefox, it's IE.
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Kaye on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:00 am

staffie wrote:I use Opera, i see if i save something in internet explorer it does not want to open up in firefox

Why do you keep randomly talking about IE in random threads? IE has nothing to do with anything. Why should something saved in IE open in Firefox anyway? Why are you even using IE in the first place? This is becoming very frustrating as you keep hijacking threads..
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lexon on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:40 pm

I use Google very rarely. Google tracks you and keeps records. I use Scroogle.org.

lexon
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby buddhaflow on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:57 am

How it should work is this: Linux Mint Google is the default search. Standard Google is an option in the drop down list. That way, people can easily choose, and can switch back and forth between the two at will.

As it is, people are getting frustrated, and they have a valid reason to be. Furthermore, when they switch away from the Mint page, they are permanently on the default Google page, without any easy way to switch back if they want to support Mint. This would be the best option for everyone.
buddhaflow
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Non-technical Questions