mint special google search page....

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: mint special google search page....

Post by emorrp1 »

hotplainrice wrote:Thank you very much guys. Can we submit a bug report to Mint devs for having a dysfunctional google search that doesn't have "Show options+" and "Advanced search"?

Cheers. :)
Hello and Welcome to Linux Mint. As explained many times across the forums, those are some of the restrictions google places on it, not Mint. And you still have access to those functions by using the appropriate search syntax. For the vast number of googlers, the provided features are enough.
jesica

Post by jesica »

I use Opera, i see if i save something in internet explorer it does not want to open up in firefox
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

staffie wrote:I use Opera, i see if i save something in internet explorer it does not want to open up in firefox
errr... that's nothing to do with mint, or google, or firefox, it's IE.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

staffie wrote:I use Opera, i see if i save something in internet explorer it does not want to open up in firefox
Why do you keep randomly talking about IE in random threads? IE has nothing to do with anything. Why should something saved in IE open in Firefox anyway? Why are you even using IE in the first place? This is becoming very frustrating as you keep hijacking threads..
lexon

Post by lexon »

I use Google very rarely. Google tracks you and keeps records. I use Scroogle.org.

lexon
buddhaflow

Post by buddhaflow »

How it should work is this: Linux Mint Google is the default search. Standard Google is an option in the drop down list. That way, people can easily choose, and can switch back and forth between the two at will.

As it is, people are getting frustrated, and they have a valid reason to be. Furthermore, when they switch away from the Mint page, they are permanently on the default Google page, without any easy way to switch back if they want to support Mint. This would be the best option for everyone.
sqbing

Post by sqbing »

opera?well i love opera's smooth...but...i often lost focus in opera,& i had to right click somewhere in the window then i works again...have u ever met this problem?
greentechgirl

Post by greentechgirl »

If you want to edit the Google Search in Opera to the default, you can do this easily in the preferences.

Tools -> Preferences -> Search (tab)

Select Google and hit "edit"

Select "Details"

Remove the existing URL and replace with:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%s ... gle+Search

Sorry if this takes away Mint revenue; I personally don't click on search result ads anyway for the most part. Maybe in a year's time they are losing 10 cents from me.

PS For some reason my Mint-branded Firefox Google search had the regular options since I upgraded to Helena so I don't need to change that one.
carmi

Post by carmi »

I just wrote a how to on removing the mint custom search and adding search engines like the normal google search engine to firefox manually. It's in the howto section: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=39623 if anyone is interested in an alternative method.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

buddhaflow wrote:How it should work is this: Linux Mint Google is the default search. Standard Google is an option in the drop down list. That way, people can easily choose, and can switch back and forth between the two at will.
I like this idea -- especially the part about switching back and forth between the two.
buddhaflow wrote:As it is, people are getting frustrated, and they have a valid reason to be. Furthermore, when they switch away from the Mint page, they are permanently on the default Google page, without any easy way to switch back if they want to support Mint. This would be the best option for everyone.
By the way, even if I am currently using the standard Google page, if I bookmark the Linux Mint start page (http://www.linuxmint.com/start/gloria/) and use it sometimes, will that help generate revenue for Mint?
bloodrivet

Post by bloodrivet »

I removed 'that' search engine [manage search engines; remove] and replaced it w/this firefox add on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/51000). True freedom and a lot more elegant.
Also removed L.M.'s version of 'Clippy' (http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... n_Terminal) :lol:
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

bloodrivet wrote:I removed 'that' search engine [manage search engines; remove] and replaced it w/this firefox add on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/51000). True freedom and a lot more elegant.
as I have stated elsewhere on this board: if what you state, above, is all that you have done to "resolve this" on your Mint 8 installation, then you will find 'that' search engine will have returned and become the default again, the next time you reboot. I will not repeat it here, lest we (again) get inundated with folks clamouring about wonderful it is to have our choices made for us. If you'd like to read what I wrote before, my posts remain unedited in the other thread.
Robin

Post by Robin »

BrianD wrote: as I have stated elsewhere on this board: if what you state, above, is all that you have done to "resolve this" on your Mint 8 installation, then you will find 'that' search engine will have returned and become the default again, the next time you reboot. I will not repeat it here, lest we (again) get inundated with folks clamouring about wonderful it is to have our choices made for us.
What is likely to happen (again) is not a chorus of people in support of taking your choice away, but instead of chorus of users debunking the myth you're trying to perpetuate here (again). The only way a user's settings aren't saved is if he's using a LiveCD instead of an installed Mint.

Either you are using Mint only in Virtual environment or LiveCD, or your experience is quite unique, since no one else has reported any such reversal after applying the changes offered in both this thread and the other one you tried to pull this stunt in.

Dumbfounded,
Robin
MintHat

Post by MintHat »

It's good to hear google is a source of income for Linux Mint, I did not know.

I to had an issue with the Mint google, and changed it to google.nl, but that was before I knew Mint generated income from google, and I do want to support Mint in any way I can.

So my solution to this, in order to search for pictures, was just to add a google.nl bookmark on the toolbar, and to restore the mint google for "normal" google searches. And the google.nl bookmark happens to be directly under the google toolbar,
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

Robin wrote:What is likely to happen (again) is not a chorus of people in support of taking your choice away, but instead of chorus of users debunking the myth you're trying to perpetuate here (again).
it's a myth, is it? ...so that program doesn't appear on your system, nor operate as it was intended to do? ...or, is it more likely that you simply haven't looked?
Robin wrote:The only way a user's settings aren't saved is if he's using a LiveCD instead of an installed Mint.
oh, perhaps you've misinterpreted what I meant by "overwritten". The settings are, indeed, saved. Then, on the next boot, they are overwritten.
Robin wrote:Either you are using Mint only in Virtual environment or LiveCD, or your experience is quite unique, since no one else has reported any such reversal after applying the changes offered in both this thread and the other one you tried to pull this stunt in.
No. It's a "standard" Mint 8 installation. My experience is not unique, as others in that other thread actually tried to candy-coat and defend the script that you claim is only a "myth" and imply is only a figment of my imagination.

I'm surprised that you, Robin, would try to pretend that this program does not exist on a standard installation, when you need only look at your own standard installation to verify that it exists. I understand, from another thread, that you are a recent Linux convert... maybe you know python, maybe not; go ahead and read through the program's source code on your machine. Even if you don't know python, the comments within the source code should be satisfactory to explain the program's inner workings.
Robin wrote:Dumbfounded,
Robin
I don't know why you should feel dumbfounded, unless you're having difficulty navigating to your /etc/init.d/ directory, and using the less command to investigate the contents of mintsystem; it has but one executable line in it, calling /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/mint-adjust.py, the program in question in that other thread. You will see, in reading that source code, on line 43 of that file, the comment "Perform file overwriting adjustments", followed by a block of code that... well, performs file overwriting "adjustments" ..and the source directly after that indicates that it looks in /etc/linuxmint/adjustments. In that directory, you'll find a file called 15-mint-artwork-gnome-firefox.overwrite (as well as a README that describes the contents of the *.overwrite files). In the *-firefox.overwrite file, you'll clearly see that your bookmarks.html, firefox.js, google.xml, browserconfig.properties, and mimetypes.rdf files are specified therein for overwriting by the "default" files of the same names found in /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/.

So, go ahead and feign moral outrage, indignance, dumbfoundedness, or whatever ....but don't imply that I am the one here "pulling a stunt". What I've outlined above is not of my design -- it's on every Linux Mint 8 installation.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Then perhaps you should completely remove Firefox, disable the Mint repositories, and then install Firefox from the Ubuntu repositories. Or from Mozilla's website. That should give you a completely non-Mintified Firefox.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

BrianD,

You are so wrong about the search plugins it's incredible. It absolutely is a myth that the search will revert itself to the Mint search once the proper fix is applied. (A myth that only you seem to believe, by the way). Honestly, you are either misunderstanding the problem, the solution, or you're just being pointlessly contrary.

When the fix is applied, the search will remain how the user configures it no matter how many times they restart, log off, log in, whatever. It is a fact, not an opinion. Stop posting incorrect information as it can easily confuse people who don't know any better.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

With Mint 5, I believe I used the instructions that were posted earlier in this thread by erginemr. Just curious -- do these steps work with later Mint versions like Mint 8?

erginemr wrote:As already posted with a link before, to go back to the default Google search in Firefox is easy:

1. You need to install the "Add to Search Bar" add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682

2. Visit Google homepage (http://www.google.com), right click on the search text area and click on "Add to Search Bar" (or similar).

3. Then, click on the icon on the left of the Firefox Google search text box and select "Manage Search Engines" (or similar).

4. Delete the Google search item by Linux Mint and move the one you have just created to the top. And you are all done!
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

ENOUGH of this squabbling: please keep discussions civil and fact-based, don't take perceived comments as personal attacks as they probably weren't intended to be. <-- This is related only to page 4 of this topic

FACT: Mint's custom google search generates a significant amount of Mint's income
FACT: This allows Clem to work on Mint full-time
FACT: Google dictates the restricted functionality of custom searches
FACT: Mint 8 introduced an adjustment system, so you can use upstream firefox releases
FACT: This system is run at startup (can also be run manually without reboot)
FACT: This system alters *default* values only (just tested excessively in VBox)
FACT: *Any* method that does not invoke root powers [(gk)su(do)] will work
FACT: You can leave the default search alone and add the pure google for when you really need it
FACT: The search on the *default* homepage also generates income for Mint

Please let this be the last of the discussion.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

emorrp1 wrote:ENOUGH of this squabbling: please keep discussions civil and fact-based, don't take perceived comments as personal attacks as they probably weren't intended to be. <-- This is related only to page 4 of this topic

FACT: Mint's custom google search generates a significant amount of Mint's income
FACT: This allows Clem to work on Mint full-time
FACT: Google dictates the restricted functionality of custom searches
FACT: Mint 8 introduced an adjustment system, so you can use upstream firefox releases
FACT: This system is run at startup (can also be run manually without reboot)
FACT: This system alters *default* values only (just tested excessively in VBox)
FACT: *Any* method that does not invoke root powers [(gk)su(do)] will work
FACT: You can leave the default search alone and add the pure google for when you really need it
FACT: The search on the *default* homepage also generates income for Mint

Please let this be the last of the discussion.
Sorry, I do think that my question posted immediately prior to your post is a valid question. Does the "adjustment system" that you're speaking of mean that those steps that erginemr posted don't work with Mint 8, or that they are not applicable? Just asking, because it's sounding to me like things may have changed with Mint 8, but I'm not sure.

Also, it's understood now that the custom Google search and the default homepage are important sources of income for Mint. Still, not everyone wants to use them, or wants to feel coerced into using them -- that's another fact. :wink:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”