mint special google search page....

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Re: mint special google search page....

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:46 am

By your definition, a ordinary install of Firefox or Opera will break your system, they use a custom search as well. And if you check the blog it is clearly stated how to remove this plugin from Firefox, and as clem stated, this will be included in the User guide.

The search is included for to create revenue for the Mint team. Basically, they include that plugin so that you can download the ISO, which they provided for you for free. I think you rush to a conclusion, and blow this out of proportion. It is not breaking your system, it is a damn search plugin. Firefox and Opera does the exact same thing, only with a different search page. Firefox even have a custom google page as a default start page. Is this "breaking your system" as well? After all, this generate revenue for Firefox so they can continue to develop Firefox. Exact same with Opera as well.

No one is forcing you to use Linux Mint, it is delivered as is. If you don't like it, don't use it, easy as that. Distrowatch probably has a few suggestions for you.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:10 am

information is deliberately withheld, even when asked for

If it makes you happy to think of yourself as a victim there's little hope (and interest) for me to change your opinion. However, I said it and I'll say it again, I believe in choice and transparency, I give straight answers and I justify all the decisions I make. I could have told you to go in search.ini (I was thinking of the system-wide one more than the user's home copy actually) but the reason I suggested to install Opera directly from opera.com was so that you wouldn't be affected by future package upgrades coming from us.

Anyway, problem solved as you said. I'm almost sorry I took the time to reply to your post.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Critom on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:02 am

"toblakai" as i said once before, you need to make your new search which you created become the default search.

Tools>Preferences
Choose the Search tab and then select the relevant search that you need.
Choose Edit and then select Details in there you can Check options to

Use as default search engine
Use as speed dial search engine

Hope this helps.
Critom
Level 1
Level 1

Postby whiner on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 am

toblakai wrote::evil: This is f***** anyoing adware. I love mint but not when you break my system, WITHOUT telling me, and WITHOUT telling me how to fix it.

Wow, talk about hyperbole...

Nobody broke your system....it came that way. Despite your claim that they did it without telling you and without telling you how to fix it, they did neither. It really took me about 30 seconds in Opera and less then than 3 minutes in Firefox--that was both researching the solution and implementing it.

In the time it took you to come in here and post your rant, you could have fixed both of them.
whiner

Postby Wh1sper on Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanxs for the tip with the Search engine AddOn 8:)
Mein Blog fuer Nerten und Linux Strategen http://zockertown.de/s9y/
Wh1sper
Level 2
Level 2

Postby joel_gil on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi everyone. I tried the add-on but it doesnt seem to be working.
Maybe im too dumb but I follow all the steps on the mintblog and/or in the screencast at the addon site
I have the newest version of the addon 1.7, is anyone else having this problem?
hopefully someone can give me another solution or maybe any idea of what am I doing wrong.
Like, the addon is activated but is not to be seen anywhere.
thanks in advanced
joel_gil
Level 1
Level 1

Postby yurkomik on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:16 am

toblakai wrote::evil: This is f****** anyoing adware. I love mint but not when you break my system, WITHOUT telling me, and WITHOUT telling me how to fix it.

In Opera, if I search for something with an unknown keyword, I'm taken to the linux mint google search. This breaks all of my workflow. The linux mint google search is horrible, with none of the extra google searches I need access to all the time, and for instance the google calculator does NOT work.

Now, if it was like my home page that I could simply change away from, fine. But getting the s*** both in Opera and in Firefox, and with even a search on forum don't yield simple and specific instructions... I say s*** because it's extremely intrusive, breaks the most important thing in my daily work (search), and I can't remove it. No problem that you need money, and it's obviously a great revenue for you - and fine with most ppl. But dude.. I just can't wrap my mind around the ugly intrusivness of this thing! How can you not communicate clearly how to remove it from firefox and opera and whatever??

A search of forums gave references to a blog which gave references to a firefox plugin, however this doesn't solve my Opera problems. Not even a search on the wiki pages gives any link to this..

Please.. this is definitely something I'll leave Mint behind for if I have to, but I would hate that so I hope someone can give a solution here on how to remove it. And man... it's just so incredibly rude done... since you don't provide an easy way out.

T

Hey! It's impossible to work with googlesearch in opera!
I need chache!!!!
How to turn in off? what is the correct string for search engine?

EDITED
To remove offensive language
4/11/2010
Aging Technogeek
Forum Moderator.
yurkomik

Postby msuggs on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:45 am

joel_gil wrote:I have the newest version of the addon 1.7, is anyone else having this problem?
hopefully someone can give me another solution or maybe any idea of what am I doing wrong.
thanks in advanced

Once the addon is activated just navigate to http://www.google.com, right click in the search field and choose 'Add to Search Bar'
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Guest on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:48 am

Restoring search engine in Opera

1. Go to google.com, right-click (Ctrl-click on Mac) in the site's search field and select "Create search" from the menu.
2. Copy adress like: http://www.google.com.ua/search?hl=uk&q=%s&btnG=%D0%9F%D0%BE%D1%88%D1%83%D0%BA+Google&meta= from menu (push detailes to see adress)
3. Go Tools/Preference/Search and Edit Google search (change adress to just coppied one)
4. Save

So it's not hard.
Sorry clem, great OS but some people need chaching and images.

Postby lanark on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:38 am

omns wrote:
joel_gil wrote:I have the newest version of the addon 1.7, is anyone else having this problem?
thanks in advanced

Once the addon is activated just navigate to http://www.google.com, right click in the search field and choose 'Add to Search Bar'

I have the very same problem as joel_gil, I have installed the plugin, but no 'Add to Search Bar' option show up in the right click menu... I want the extra options back in my google search page.

@Clem: Why don't you put all the standard options in the custom Mint Google search plugin? It would be nice to have the extra features (Images, cache, view as HTML, local options, etc, etc) AND the ads for Mint revenue... Why can't everything be together and make everybody happy?

Cheers,
Lanark
lanark

Postby adi_kausik on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:02 pm

I am new to Linux Mint, and seem to like the customized MInt/Google start page. I would appreciate though, if in the customization to the firefox search bar the developers could include the alternate options found at the top of the google search (Images, News, Shopping, etc). Sometimes I type a search query into the search bar in Firefox, and when I get the search results, I might switch to images or news, but this option didn't seem visible to me. If a fix has already been implemented, I am sorry for not looking hard enough on the forum. Would appreciate if someone could point me to it.
adi_kausik
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:03 pm

adi_kausik wrote:Would appreciate if someone could point me to it.

That option is not available on the custom search page so you'll have to use a standard search page if you want those functions. Remember though that customised page provides valuable fund raising to keep Mint going so it may be an inconvenience worth putting up with. That said, read back a few posts in this thread to find the method of adding the standard search page to Firefox :)
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby adi_kausik on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:45 am

Thanks much.

I figured it was for fund raising and don't mind using it. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have more options on the page.
adi_kausik
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jinnai on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:58 am

i was kind of shocked it wasn't (as well as using some advanced search options like date restrictions).
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Postby simta on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:47 am

toblakai wrote::evil: This is f****** anyoing adware. I love mint but not when you break my system, WITHOUT telling me, and WITHOUT telling me how to fix it.
Please.. this is definitely something I'll leave Mint behind for if I have to, but I would hate that so I hope someone can give a solution here on how to remove it. And man... it's just so incredibly rude done... since you don't provide an easy way out.

dont think anyone would really mind if you left, you have obviously ignored the posts above where they tell you how to change it. or if you cant be bothered doing it that way you could just make a button on your bookmark toolbar which links to the normal googlesearch.

HP Pavillion DV6174ea - Elyssa x64
simta
Level 1
Level 1

Postby guest76576 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:25 pm

Totally agree with replacing to default Google search page. If Mint wants to make their own, then make a complete new entry in the search field with the Mint logo. This will make it easier for people to choose what they want to use.
guest76576

Postby lonoy on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:51 am

Add this search to FF and you can then search and add thousands of different engines that suit your fancy including more versions of Google than you can point a stick at:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6887

You can even add a search engine that will search the Mint Forum direct from your search bar:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=linux+mint

Cheers and keep smiling.
lonoy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby davidfoley on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 am

A Cairde,
I had this problem also. I found the solution was to remove the pre-installed Google search engine and, install the desired one from 'mycroft.mozdev.org'. Here's how:

1. Click the drop-down menu on the search engine plugin.
2. Click "Manage Search Engines".
3. Select Google, and click Remove.
4. Visit 'http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html'.
5. Select the new Google plugin you wish to install. I chose 'Google IE - the web' (usually you want 'the web' version, this searches the entire web rather than just pages from your country).

There you go, hope this helps.

David Foley :) ,
Wexford, Ireland.
davidfoley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lingenfr on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:47 pm

If it makes the LM team a few nickels then great. No problem. What I have a problem with is that the google page created doesn't have the links to advanced search, froogle, etc like the standard page. I use those links pretty routinely and the LM page has left me less functional.
lingenfr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lingenfr on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:36 am

This just keeps getting better. I also noticed that the LM-branded google page doesn't have the Cached and Similar Pages links below the search results. Enough for me. I am removing it putting the standard google back.

Update. It's been fun, but after a couple of attempts to fix this, I had enough. This coupled with other issues is sending me packing. I think that I am just going to run Ubuntu or Ultimate and be done with it. The holiday break is a good opportunity to get this done. Happy holidays all and good luck.
lingenfr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Non-technical Questions