Bianca first impressions

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Bianca first impressions

Postby tinny on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:03 pm

I regret I didnt comment on Mint Bea. The aesthetics of that version were near perfection, in a word, awesome. It never occurred to me that I should try Ubuntu, Gnome and the rest, as I was happy with Kubuntu (+Automatix). But Mint changed my mind. I couldnt handle Ubuntu, were it not for Mint Bea.

Now comes this Bianca, and it's not as good for me. The intro screen: Bianca in big white letters over a military green box, with the word Linux prominently displayed, and "MINT" is just a small misplaced blur. Okay, so it's called Bianca, so what. Wouldnt it be preferable to place greater emphasis (size) on Mint? Who the hay is Bianca, like I care. I know it's Linux, but what brand of Linux? Duh, mxxx.

Oh, I get it: Bianca Linux!

The desktop wallpaper for Bianca has the same colors as the flag of Ukraine. Does this distro originate in Ukraine? I didnt think so. I like Ukraine, but I think those colors have a historical significance there.

I'm still thinkin about that menu structure. And wondering how I can get a Firefox icon on my desktop, cuz when i right click it (after I find it in the menu), it says "Add to favorites" which, seems to me, just places it further away from a mouse click. I guess I need to do a little reading, background study, to see why it is you changed the menu structure. I recall it's modeled on some other distro. Cant really see the advantage.

Just some initial comments. Great distro. I recommend it constantly.
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby grimdestripador on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:04 pm

Yeah, when right clikcing on anything i can't edit the menu. What a pitty. Since its so hard to click on the whitespace, "Add to pannel", "Mint Menu" to get your old gnomish functionality.

I do agree with the dominate Bianca Logo though, I like mint better. And Linux Mint 2.2 sounds so much better.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Postby clem on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:46 am

The Bea artwork is still present in Bianca so you can revert to it. And, you can also run Bea and upgrade to Bianca "without" upgrading the artwork.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby glas on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:20 pm

I have 'upgraded' Bea to Bianca (following the wiki instruction details provided) on my box at home; downloaded and installed Bianca on my box at work (I run a computer repair shop that promotes and sells refurbished computers usually with both Windows and Linux installed).

My 'upgraded' Bea to Bianca box has, for whatever reason, retained the same (traditional?) Gnome desktop with the drop down menus. And now I'm glad it has because its easier to navigate and operate than the new Bianca pop-up menu configuration.

Of course this is just my personal opinion probably based largely on what I've become used to. It is not meant knock the hard and great work put into the Mint distro from Barbara to Bianca.

As for placing application icons on the Bianca panel - just right click on the panel and choose 'add icon' (or something like that). Like most things computer related, easy if you know how, virtually impossible and frustrating if you don't.

I was very impressed by the fact that Bianca recognised and configured my wireless card with out any fuss just by running it 'live'. I don't think even Knoppix, the auto-configuration king, can manage that.

So my work box Bianca is a 9 out of 10 for me, and my home box Bianca with a Bea desktop scores 10 out of 10.
glas
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clem on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:44 am

Hi glas,

Bea's artwork in included in Bianca so you can revert to it, just select the Bea theme, click apply for the wallpaper, change the login window preferences, and for the panel:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel

that should do the trick :)

Clem,
PS: Good luck for the match tonight ;)
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Bianca first impressions

Postby tinny on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:00 pm

I just spoke to a friend who knows a lot about Linux, and he was vexed as I am that Bianca comes out so soon after the release of Bea. What exactly is the release cycle for Mint.? I understood that Mint follows the releases of Ubuntu, making the cycle, what, six months.

Okay, so say I wanna stick with Bea, just skip Bianca. I know I wont enjoy the latest drivers/upgrades that Bianca provides, but can i do that, wait until Cxxxx comes out (coincidentally with Feisty)? What am I missing out on, if i skip Bianca, stay with Bea?

And just so I can get with your agenda, please explain why are you pushing the envelope with new versions? Pushing the envelope: hurrying the release date, radically changing the desktop (SLAB). I mean, Mint is the only Gnome desktop I use, why would I wanna change it to some hybrid? Mint was the way I was learning and evaluating Gnome.
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Don't panic :)

Some people are running Edgy and they don't feel outdated. If you like Bea stick to it and skip Bianca.

We released Bianca because we felt we made good improvements and a better desktop than in Bea. You can't be vexed because you just got more choice. Our release cycle is not fixed and we release when we achieve our goals, not when the calendar says it's been x days since our last release.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby tinny on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:35 am

Usability studies, huh. That sounds like something Microsoft would do. In fact, SLAB kinda resembles Windows XP. Hah! Voila.

Actually, I first used Windows XP around a year ago. I held out that long. First thing I did was change Control Panel to Classical View. That's what I thought of the new wowie of WinXP. Now Novell is pulling the same thing with SLAB.

I am determined this time. As far as Vista is concerned, I'm not gonna go there, ever. So why are we emulating this lousy OS?

http://BetterDesktop.org/
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mcrofutt on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:33 am

Well, I've got to give it a thumbs up! For my tastes it beats the Ubuntu flavor of gnome hands-down. Ya'll keep up the good work!
Mark
mcrofutt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Non-technical Questions