Re Kubuntu-Desktop Spoke too soon Re Barbara

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Re Kubuntu-Desktop Spoke too soon Re Barbara

Postby ElZorro on Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:05 am

Hi All,
Unfortunately Kubuntu-Desktop install destroyed a couple of things.
1) The machine will not shut down, it turns off the monitor, but the machine power stays on and whirrs away, and there is no shutdown dialog
Dang--it worked ok with only apt-get install kde.
Is this fixable with some obscure kde setting?

2)Also the xserver is now not accessible from terminal, making root editing more difficult from user.
Fortunately I enabled root gui login before all this kefuffle
I'm afraid like Linus T himself, I personally prefer KDE, but it seems installing kubuntu-desktop can sure foul up settings on Linuxmint Barbara.
Do hope a KDE centric version of linuxmint is in the works, for Gnome though good is a bit sparse on configurations for me.
Unfortunately I could not get linuxmint beta Ada with KDE to even install the bootloader properly, getting an error17.
Good luck with Bea
Best
El Zorro 8)
ElZorro
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:17 am

Hi,

The Ada installer should install Ada on your HDD without any problem. The only thing is that it leaves a broken grub... all you need to do is to fix grub after that.

As for a KDE release of LinuxMint... it's not impossible, but it's not planned yet either..
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Will have to figure out how to edit bootloader from ERROR17

Postby ElZorro on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi Root,
thanx for the reply, but--- how does one edit the bootloader from error 17-- with a live CD like Knoppix I guess?. I am still new to Linux and trying to learn.

Managed to get Kubuntu-Desktop to shut down by editing kmrc as root.
Still cannot access xserver from terminal though.

Doing all this from Seamonkey 1.06, which I downloaded as the full Linux installer, and installed flashplugin.

Debian and therefore Ubuntu/Kubuntu repos are in the never-never with the Seamonkey, project, especially after the stupid Debian debacle with firefox/thunderbird, a fellow open source project.
The GNU legality like all law can be an Ass and self defeating, and we desperately need universal Linux packages for Linux to succed as a world desktop.
Hopefully common sense will eventually prevail over all the open source zealotry out there!
Good luck with Linuxmint
Cheers
El Zorro 8)
ElZorro
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions