feedback on Bianca

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

feedback on Bianca

Postby dsimpson on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:34 pm

I downloaded the Bianca, after having problems with Bea and gave it a try. I like the system initially although I had some problems, mostly due to my lack of knowledge, I suppose.

Bianca found my wireless, So I got internet fairly quickly, although it took me awhile to find out how to enable the connections via networkmanager, found my printer, but not the one with cups, just the local one so I am unable to monitor the toner levels and do other tweaks to my hp psc 2510 printer. I could not find my 2nd (wife's) computer on the network, it was late so I gave up, consequently she cannot print to the printer. I edited the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf but it still couldn't print to the host printer. So for now to keep things flowing smoothly I am still using Ubuntu 6.06, where everything is still fully set up. I am finding the single panel hard to grasp on my first try at it, having all the different classes and links graphical is all new to me. I am still too tied to the Gnome/Ubuntu look and it will take some time to acquaint myself to the new interface.

All that being said, I think Bianca has great potential, should be a great hit, eventually work for even someone as slow as myself. I think it will be a more natural fit for someone coming from windows, where they work in a total graphical environment, and the icons and all will seem a part of what they conceive a desktop should look like, so if I can learn how to set it up easily then it would be the most natural switch to propose to my acquaintances that I will try to entice to switch to Linux. Most newbies find the learning curve too much to switch to Ubuntu, but they may be more willing to make the switch to LinuxMint..

Great job, keep up the good, hard work! :wink:
dsimpson
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby justo on Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:08 am

An update on Bea and Bianca BETA knocked my wireless off line. So I hope that is fixed. Another thing.When you load on the same had drive as Windows you may fail to get windows to show up when you boot up.
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Not to worry

Postby dsimpson on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:23 pm

Not to worry about the windows issue, don't have it on my 'puter', just Ubuntu. I am searching, I think I need to install one or more of the gtk engine files or libs in order to get my cups email to work right, not sure, but will keep plugging away on that. I tried manually editing the cupsd.conf the same as I did with my Ubuntu but that didn't work, I think the gtk extensions that I need were deleted when I removed Kubuntu from my HD and that affected the cups interface that connects to my printer and allows the advanced features. Hope so! I would like to experiment some more with Bianca, lol!
dsimpson
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Non-technical Questions