Who can make custom version of mint?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
n1tr0g3n

Re: Who can make custom version of mint?

Post by n1tr0g3n »

Yes I would just use Remastersys. All you have to do is install remastersys and make your distro exactly how you want it to be and when your done just open up remastersys and click the backup option. It will save your system exactly like it was at the time with all settings in tact...etc Probably the best solution as well as the easiest for you.
linuxmintnewfan

Post by linuxmintnewfan »

I suppose it would be good if i add a new post here regarding this matter.
First to say,mintconstructor tool is easy as hell,but i think it have some minor bugs which driving people away from using it.
Also i wish if it would be faster iso generation,average time to make it is one hour,i suppose it need to be stronger computer to speed it up.Kind a annoying how if you want to make a small change you need to go with entire process again.
I managed to do following things:
1.Change keyboard layout on start by using batch script
2.Disable hot corner by using batch script(i also found how to disable it with command in console,so no long need to run gui part of it)
3.To add predefined settings to some programs by using batch script,and also installed some new programs
4.Also to add extension to firefox and adjust it way i wanted.To do that,i had to first run live cd,do adjustment,copy adjusted profile of ff to external place,then copy adjusted profile to /etc/skel of livecd.
5.Add dns-fix and dbus bug fix to batch script as well
6.Reduced iso image to 691 MB(goal is to reach 500 MB,but not sure is that possible without sacrificing too much)
Things to figure out:
-How to change mint user settings without batch script,this is needed for things like adding launchers,changing background and other things as well which currently i use batch script to do them.As mint user is not created yet on iso image i cannot find how to edit those things.Good thing i can always improvise by batch script but as i said that is improvisation.
One notice:You need to be careful what mint version you have installed on hard drive before doing reconstruction.So if you want to do live cd based on cinnamon 64 bit ,then same os need to be installed on hard drive.
Same go with system language installed,so for example if you installed france system language on harddrive,then on iso image it will be also France language.
This is a bit weird since iso image shouldn't be connected with host os,but it seems it is.And that is also bugged as then locales are not properly installed and it will throw warning every time when you type command in console.
To fix it you will need to get proper locales but better to stick with english version instead bothering with it.While having a correct keyboard layout is must have,system language it totally not needed,not to mention i cant properly navigate then as i dont understood my own language then lol.
I also played with firefox alternative midori and aurora,hoped to use them instead firefox as they have much less space occupied but it seems both those browser are still in development as they dont work smoothly as firefox.

I see now mint 15 is out,but questions is there any sense to use it as mint 14 works perfectly,plus mint 15 cinnamon version occupies more space,and there are no xfce version.
And i can update installed apps to new versions very easily by using mintconstructor.
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

linuxmintnewfan Just trying to help. I am not involved except to refer you.
I can pay for such service.
You may want to contact ikey, from SolusOS. I have no idea what he would charge, but I think he could make you a custom ISO.
In an effort to keep bills low and also reapply skills in other ways, I'm happy
to take on work which will in turn will help support SolusOS.

Development work includes (but is not limited to)

Distribution maintanence and development
Bespoke software and website design
CMS construction and deployments

If you're interested in such a service, contact ikey@solusos.com

[url]http://solusos.com/content/services[/url]
apes

Re: Re: Who can make custom version of mint?

Post by apes »

linuxmintnewfan wrote:In which forum section should i post then?This one obviously is not right since nobody is responding yet ;)
welcome to Linux.

sent via tapatalk while on the toilet.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”