Mint 13 LTS iso update and ubuntu 12.04.x

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nobody813

Re: Mint 13 LTS iso update and ubuntu 12.04.2

Post by nobody813 »

Another thing to think about is Ubuntu 12.04.2 pulled in the kernel and and other items (x.org, drivers...) from 12.10, whereas I've never seen any kernel updates for my Mint 13 install (which itself is using a very old version of the 3.2 kernel), as they're disabled by default. Eventually they will have to update this, as even now 13 would have issues with newer hardware and drivers. I just hope as many people above that there will be newer ISO's made for LTS version of Linux Mint, with not only the normal updates inlcuded, but also the base packages updated as well, just like Ubuntu is
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

I can personally verify that the standard linux 3.2.0-24 kernel included with Linux Mint 13 has issues with the latest ATI Radeon video card drivers. I've had PC lock ups and freezes on shutdown. In addition to installing recommended updates, kernel updates are critical if you are using proprietary drivers. Just another reason why it is vital that the MINT ISO image be updated to keep up with Ubuntu.
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

I need to post an update to this thread. This issue has gone unanswered by LM admins for so long that Ubuntu is moving to 12.04.3 in August. Any plans to update Linux Mint 13 iso to 12.04.3? hmmmmmmmm? Anybody??
XA Hydra

Post by XA Hydra »

A re-spin would be greatly appreciated. Just installed Maya on a new build and it took an incredibly long time to download / install the updates.

...Perhaps some of the backports, such as MATE 1.6 / Cinnamon 1.8 could be included after a certain span of time as well, but now I'm just getting greedy I guess :D
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

Isn't there any way to do that by ourselves without involving NASA?

I mean, instead of installing the old Maya DVD + tons of updates, couldn't we download the update apart, one-off, put it on a DVD, and use it as a new source of update? That's not the same as having an up-to-date Maya DVD, but it's better than nothing, especially if an unlucky boy have to install Maya on a classroom with 20 PCs. :?

Obviously if there was a way to remaster a real updated Maya would be better but from the above comment I suppose it doesn't exist.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

mfluder wrote:Also, we need to get non-tech savvy friends and family away from Microsoft products as soon as possible.
You are chiefly concerned about the mass of updates - and I agree that it might become so even to those with moderately-fast 30mbit/sec connections in the future (perhaps if someone decides to install a Mint 13 .ISO in August, 2016) - because it might be a problem for people coming from a Microsoft OS?

How long does it take to do a new installation and (completely) update that installation when the OS in question is Microsoft's Windows XP (if it is even still supported for desktop users), Vista, or even Windows 7? No fair selecting a version with any service packs that have been released already slipstreamed in, now - you mentioned that they were not tech-savvy.

I suspect it is not a case of, "I'll be right in to dinner, honey, I just want to install/update {Microsoft OS} real quick first. Don't worry, I'm sure the food will still be nice and hot." :lol:

So... If a task is beyond the category of "I'll be right there" and is solidly in the middle of "<SIGH>," is the fact that it is a few minutes longer - or even shorter - than the comparable experience they would have with Microsoft really a potential show-stopper?

Also, if they're your "non-tech savvy" friends, simply tell them it takes that long because it just does and then ask them if they saw the most recent NASCAR race because you missed it and wondered what happened; long after the installation/update process is finished, they'll still be jawing.

Yes, that last bit was mostly said in jest.

Mostly.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

Generally the idea beyond Linux is: let's improve; go better.

There is no any better/improvement in this case compared to Win. Win give the possibility to merge the last SP with the original CD, creating a new updated CD/DVD, and that's the equivalent as installing Mint, making a 600MB apt-get upgrade and remaster a new Mint ready for use. WE LACK THIS.

I'm a little fastidious but I also think that installing from an updated DVD is better than installing an old version and replace almost everything of its files through a 600MB apt-get upgrade, because it not a miracle cure that intensive delete/insert on the filesystem, modification of config files that grow during the process, etc.

Theoretically, the cleanest/fastest possible system is the one installed once and never updated; this is not adviceable because of bugs, etc., but we're WASTING energy (download/uploads is energy in lots of ways: electricity, RF, servicing, components wear, rubbish, transports, distribution, and on both part: client and server) from millions of PC in the world to basically install 2 times the OS (the upgrade of 600MB is basically a complete reinstallation) it's a pity, especially thinking that the FS is not very happy of those 20000 substitution of files that COULD already be there on first instance.
We care for the power consumption of a better power supply, but we lost MW of power for nothing.

Everything is possibile and there is no problem for a single person to spend/wait for the download of hundreds of MB of upgrades, BUT, UNDOUBTED, that's not the best we can have.
Everyone can change the tire of his car, but that's not the best if it'a a brand new one bought 2 minutes ago.
Everyone wash their car, but not while it's raining mud.
I hope you get the idea.

PS: I'm not an expert on making distro, but I think that as we succeded in making a procedure to launch rockets on the Moon, we could also have a procedure (or software) to remaster a DVD with all the upgrades of a distro.
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

Finally I solved the problem with mintConstructor. It's not difficult.
I've updated the DVD with today updates, removed mono, added some basic packages:
sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gimp
sudo apt-get install meld
sudo apt-get install filezilla
sudo apt-get install ghex
sudo apt-get install ssvnc

Now I have a Mint 13 Mate 64bit DVD updated with all those 400MB that are required after a fresh installation with the ufficial DVD.

I did all the work into a Virtualbox VM and now I have the DVD ready for real installation on my workstation. :D

If you need info for doing the same work, there are 2 main useful URLs:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Syf ... edit?pli=1

Should you need this DVD I can upload it on gdrive.
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

Mint 13 Maya with all the upgrades up to 21/6/2013 and the modifications above mentioned
http://www.riksoft.it/gratis.php
or directly here
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Excellent work. I hope mfluder is reading!
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

Thank you. I've just written to him after reading your post.
If someone need a 32 bit version... now I know how to do it so I can do it easily avoiding the hassle to others.
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

What would be the best procedure for someone using a USB stick with LM13 (based on 12.04) to upgrade to 12.04.3? If I upgrade my live system, does that mean it will take a lot more space on the stick and will load twice slower to read all the updates, or will the old files be replaced with the new ones?
Linux Mint 20 MATE
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

New Update
Mint 13 Maya with all the upgrades up to 2014-01-22 and the few modifications above mentioned

I keep it up to date, upgrading every six months.

See ya!
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

rik_rs wrote:New Update
Mint 13 Maya with all the upgrades up to 2014-01-22 and the few modifications above mentioned

I keep it up to date, upgrading every six months.

See ya!
Wow, thank you so much for all your effort, but my system is 32 not 64-bit. :( Could you please link to instructions on creating my own updated LM13? Thank you.
Linux Mint 20 MATE
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

Hi dexl,

I don't have instructions to link. Moreover, the Mint team has retired the MintContructor tool that eased the process so I now have to work a bit harder to have the same result.
Since you are interested, I'll see to make also the 32 bit version as soon as possibile.
The worst thing is to set up the environment; after that, the regular update is quite simple to manage.

See ya!
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

I've done the 32 bit too. As soon as I finish the upload I'll let you know. The upload it's a pain in the proverbial!
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

It's ready.
Mint 13 Mate, 32 and 64 bit
Same url
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

rik_rs wrote:It's ready.
Same url
Wow, thank you so very much! :D
Linux Mint 20 MATE
Interest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Interest »

rik_rs wrote:It's ready.
Same url
Hi Rik,

How evil would it be for me to ask if you could respin XFCE maya 32-bit?

I've been using Live CD for a good few months now and I am sick and tired of having to update it every couple of days just to feel safe when using it seen as its outdated by 3 years now.

Thanks!
DELL INSPIRON 1300

CPU: Pentium M 765 - 2.1Ghz 2MB Cache - 400Mhz FSB (Non-PAE)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 Kingston HyperX Dual Channel RAM
HDD: 60GB IDE Travelstar 7K100 HTS721060G9AT00
GPU: Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Graphics

Linux Mint 13 XFCE

Return to “Non-technical Questions”