Mint 13 LTS iso update and ubuntu 12.04.x

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rik_rs

Re: Mint 13 LTS iso update and ubuntu 12.04.2

Post by rik_rs »

Hi Interest, I've just finished to update

Mint 13 Mate 32 bit
Mint 13 Mate 64 bit
Mint 13 Xfce 32 bit

Updated on: 2014-09-11
Realeased: today

http://www.riksoft.it/gratis.php
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, rik_rs.

Thanks a ton for spending your time updating the Linux Mint 13 installation ISOs. :D
As the thread title still talks about "Ubuntu 12.04.2", may we nonetheless assume that the ISOs, updated 2014-09-11, include as their base Ubuntu 12.04.5 (service pack 5) ?
By the way, do your ISOs ship with kernel K3.2.0-xx or with kernel K3.13.0.-xx?
After revisiting your webpage Linux Mint 13 (Maya) Riksoft edition, I suppose the answers are: yes and K3.2.0-68. Correct?

Cheers,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected: talks, not takes
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Interest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Interest »

Rik_rs is the MAN!

I asked him to repsin XFCE for me and he did the whole lot over the weekend. What a legend :D

One question to ask is, I have a Non-PAE CPU, and I'm pretty sure I can't upgrade past 12.04 kernel (which is why I still use the LTS version) would the updated kernel still work with my CPU?

I can't download the ISO at the moment as I'm at work, however I will give it a whirl tonight.

Once again Rik, can't thank you enough!
DELL INSPIRON 1300

CPU: Pentium M 765 - 2.1Ghz 2MB Cache - 400Mhz FSB (Non-PAE)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 Kingston HyperX Dual Channel RAM
HDD: 60GB IDE Travelstar 7K100 HTS721060G9AT00
GPU: Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Graphics

Linux Mint 13 XFCE
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

Hi Interest,

sorry for my late reply but for some reason I didn't receive the email notification on gmail even though I have the flag "notify me when a reply is posted" on this thread.

Yes the kernel is 3.2.0-68 and is "-generic" so should be NON pae.
I've also checked in /boot/config-$(uname -r) and there no sign of PAE in there.

About the title of the thread... I only add my contribution here because at first, looking for updates I found this thread on topic and started to notify here.

See you later!
Rik
Interest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Interest »

Hi Rik,

I just managed to make an ISO of the download. The problem is (XFCE 32-Bit) when trying to boot past BIOS it gives me the message "No Boot Found" (something along those lines) and then skips to the main OS.

Any clues?
DELL INSPIRON 1300

Linux Mint 13 XFCE
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

The iso file works for sure because I've tested it both as live and installing on HD.
Are you sure the md5sum is right?

In the private message I see you added the extra info that you're making a live USB stick, so I guess the problem could be there.
There is an article with info about it here
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744
It's a little bit dated but I reckon it is still OK.
I can't be of help on this topic because I've never used mint on a usb stick.
Interest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Interest »

rik_rs wrote:The iso file works for sure because I've tested it both as live and installing on HD.
Are you sure the md5sum is right?

In the private message I see you added the extra info that you're making a live USB stick, so I guess the problem could be there.
There is an article with info about it here
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744
It's a little bit dated but I reckon it is still OK.
I can't be of help on this topic because I've never used mint on a usb stick.
Hi Rik,

I'll redownload it tommorow, and also use the Image Writer and let you know how it goes.

thanks again!
DELL INSPIRON 1300

Linux Mint 13 XFCE
Interest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Interest »

Just an update,

I redownloaded the ISO in Windows again, this time using PenDriveLinux and it worked like a charm!

It had some troubles "seeing" the ISO in the selection menu for some strange reason though, I had to go through the list of OS's untill it appeared.

Anyways, just to let you know, everything is top notch and working as it should.

Once again Rik, thanks for this upload, its a shame the Mint team simply couldn't do this themselves to begin with.

Thanks again!
DELL INSPIRON 1300

Linux Mint 13 XFCE
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

Thanks for the information.
About the PenDriveLinux (Yumi?) under what name you find it in the list?
Once again Rik, thanks for this upload, its a shame the Mint team simply couldn't do this themselves to begin with.
Unfortunately there is another problem that is worst than that: it's not the first time I run out of memory for some reasons and the system freezes completely. I barely see a mouse movement after 10s, and reaching a terminal to use pkill takes 15 minutes. This is unacceptable for a Linux system... I mean... a strong *nix system structure and we get stuck for such a common problem?! Is something that recall the hera of Windows 3.0 over DOS 3.3! :oops: :lol:

Whan this happen you basically have only 2 choices: press reset or wait 30 minutes of HD seek that snatches 1 years of it's lifetime. :(
This problem cannot be avoided simply adding more ram because overflows happen in any case.

I suppose this problem could be avoided by simply changing vm.swappines and vm.min_free_kbytes with proper values.
I'll make some experiments and in the next respin I think I'll add this important "guardrail".

See ya!
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

Mint 13 Mate 32 bit
Mint 13 Mate 64 bit
Mint 13 Xfce 32 bit

Updated on: 2015-07-10
Released: today

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

rik_rs wrote:Mint 13 Mate 32 bit
Mint 13 Mate 64 bit
Mint 13 Xfce 32 bit

Updated on: 2015-07-10
Released: today

Molto bene, signore... Mille grazie! :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

:lol: Ciao!
rik_rs

Re: Mint 13 LTS iso update and ubuntu 12.04.x

Post by rik_rs »

Here we go again:

Update 2016-02-13
Kernel: 3.2.0-98
32bit Mate: 1GB.
32bit XFCE: 940.9MB.
64bit Mate: 1GB.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Greetings from the suspectedly last die-hard user of Mint 13 "Maya" Cinnamon (based on Ubuntu 12.04.5 by now) to the last inofficial maintainer of Mint 13 Maya installation ISOs. :D
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
teemac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by teemac »

I use it on all my Asus netbooks in the house - works great haven't updated in years.

Would like the new 32bit MATE version, but currently I only have v e r y s l o w internet.
Is a torrent available ??
i7 7700K Asus Maximus IX Hero - 16gb ram - Water Cooled - 2xEVO970 M2, 2x4tb HDD - nVidia gtx1050ti - Mint17 & 19.1 x64 Cinnamon
i7 920 Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - 6gb ram - Air - 6x2tb,2x3tb HDD - nVidia GTX750ti - Mint17 & 19.1 x64 Cinnamon
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

teemac wrote:Would like the new 32bit MATE version, but currently I only have v e r y s l o w internet.
As usual, one can be obtained by downloading from the appropriate web page - in this case, this one:
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=205

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
teemac wrote:Would like the new 32bit MATE version, but currently I only have v e r y s l o w internet.
As usual, one can be obtained by downloading from the appropriate web page - in this case, this one:
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=205
I learned that I was in a thread specifically discussing an (ongoing) updated version of Mint 13, and I posted about the torrent to Mint 17.3. Apologies for not realizing which thread I was in before I posted.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

I didn't see the email notification (was in the spam).

@teemac
No, there isn't any torrent. However you can use wget -c to resume from where you left and it's better than a torrent.

@karichen
Greetings from the suspectedly last die-hard user of Mint 13 "Maya" Cinnamon
Uhm... I think there is still a lot of people using Maya. And don't know how to interpret these stats but if it's the current status there are more registered users with Maya in there than any other version :shock: (and one of them it's me).
https://community.linuxmint.com/

If it's all OK I'll jump on the bandwagon of the brand new Mint 18 LTS in June, skipping Mint 17 completely. Mint 18 will be supported till 2021.

See ya!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, rik_rs.

Do not overinterpret statistics unless you have compiled them yourself. :wink:
I have got the vague suspicion that other users may be as careless as me and never bother to keep the details on the community webpage up-to-date. Did I give any details there about my systems at all? Hm. Oops. :oops:
But one thing is true: I have got 3 different Mint 13 systems, but only two Mint17.x systems.
(My hardware is almost as old as me, this is the reason why.)

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

karlchen wrote: But one thing is true: I have got 3 different Mint 13 systems, but only two Mint17.x systems.
(My hardware is almost as old as me, this is the reason why.)
I have about 6 different Mint 13 systems and about 8 Mint 17,2 systems. Mint 13 works fine with non-pae CPU computers.. :D

Return to “Non-technical Questions”