underground

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

underground

Postby trippboxer on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:36 pm

i like the idea that linux mint has codecs necessary to watch dvd's and such. i am a firm believer in power to the people. software that allows you to watch or view or listen to media should be free also. if for some reason this website and this distro get shut down i think that linux mint should have a way to keep distributing an underground version. i think that underground versions of linux with codecs other non free software should circulate. i understand the idea of open source but in todays society the media companies deliberately write codecs to make consumers buy software to be able to use the media. i say that as long as the media has to be paid for then why in the hell should we pay for the ability to use it.

like i said, maybe more distros should start underground versions. time to show the major software companies that we don't need them. if they refuse to give us software the way we want it and not the way they want us to have it, then we should show them just how powerless they can be.

trippboxer
trippboxer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby tommyj12 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:26 am

I like the way you think. Its going to get even worse with the upcoming blu-ray and hd-dvd's. Do some research on these draconian formats, and how they are going to effect you as a consumer. I almost couldn't believe what I read the other day. I would pay for good money for Linux os's that had all multimedia out of the box as does mint. Yes, I will be donating. I just hope mint doesn't get the hammer dropped on them.
tommyj12
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Frijolie on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:51 am

I'm a Linux noob and just installed Barbara 2 days ago. I have to say that the ability to pop in a DVD and have it automount the DVD, autoload "MPlayer", and then start playing the movie without the need to install anything extra (DVD playback apps, additional codecs, etc..) is what we all need for a wide-spread adoption of Linux in general. Great job "Mint" (or is it "Linux Mint"?) for adding this ability, feature, and capability to your distro! Thanks for helping out a newbie like me and doing a little of the work beforehand. Keep up the great work and I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot from here in the near future!
Frijolie
Level 1
Level 1

my own thoughts again.

Postby trippboxer on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:18 am

It's just an idea but here goes. Sooner or later somebody is going to get pissed off and pressure MINT to drop the codecs or go bust. I feel that if Mint is forced to stop existing then there should be an underground movement. Here is how it would work.

Everybody that is registered with Mint is a member. The developers continue to develop and provide copies of Mint that can be accessed through torrent files from it's members. The members of the community become the lifeblood of Mint by seeding the distro.

what do you think?
trippboxer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions