Changes/Improvements

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Changes/Improvements

Postby MintJulep on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:46 am

I just downloaded Linux Mint [Bianca] today. I have only been using Bianca for a couple of hours and I am already loving it! As far as I can tell everything is configured correctly and I have most of the software I will ever need. One thing I am enjoying a lot is the menu....it's awesome. The 'eye candy' is also nice, Mint is very pretty!

I do however have a couple issues that could be improved upon, but they are not huge problems:

1. Screen Resolution: I am stuck using 1024x768. I am used to working with a computer resolution of 1600x1200, which to some people may be extreme, but 1280x1024 would be wonderful!

2. Wireless!: My wireless card works with Ubuntu. This is not a huge problem because I do have a wired network that works just fine. This one is just future reference for later releases!

Other than that I have no problems with Linux Mint. I really enjoy that everything [multimedia] works right 'out of the box.' Don't get me wrong, I am a Linux guy and I love to tinker, but sometimes getting some of the multimedia to work is just tedious.

To everyone working on Linux Mint:

Keep up the GREAT work!!
MintJulep
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby mumbo719 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:03 am

On the resolution, have you run envy yet to set up your video cards?

The wireless I am sorry, I don't know anything about it. Try doing a search for mint wifi on this site.

Oh, and WELCOME :D
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MintJulep on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:01 am

First of all, thank you for the welcome, it is much appreciated!

Second, I just updated Mint last night. There must have been a kernel update because after I restarted, Mint found my Wifi card. I have yet to set it up though [have done many times in Ubuntu].

Third, I have not run envy yet. But I will research it and let you know what happens!

Thanks again!
MintJulep
Level 1
Level 1

Envy

Postby MintJulep on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

I just researched a little about envy. I ran envy in a separate [non-graphical] terminal [ctrl+alt+F6]. It downloaded all of the packages and installed them, but when it tried to download the actual ATI driver it failed. It tried to connect to the site where the driver was located and it timed out. But I know my internet is working fine. Does this sound like it's their website and not me?

Thanks in advance!
MintJulep
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mumbo719 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:50 pm

Sounds like the website or a firewall is blocking it.

I'm not sure about the F6 key either.

hit alt-ctrl-F1

It brings you to a promt.

it may want you to login, do so if it calls for it.

Type Sudo Envy

choose ATI when finished answer yes to the last 2 questions.

Do not do the envy command from a terminal, it will hang on you.
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Non-technical Questions