potential reorganization of control center

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

potential reorganization of control center

Postby saral on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi,

I just tried Mint live CD and must say i was very impressed with what u guys have achieved in a short span of time!.. great work.. and keep it up!

The control center is great!

but i have one suggestion to make it much easier to navigate.. MS tried to organize the control center into categories in XP, and frankly, after getting lost trying to figure out which category, i saw most people clicking on that "switch to classic view" which shows ALL the icons under one window...

I know it sounds wierd, a categorized view appears more logical.. but then, in some cases, a user may be confused what category to look at .. (example i need to configure a network hardware, do i go to hardware, or do i go to network?)

I feel apple's approach is the best of both words..

see http://sonic.net/support/ss/mac/osx/tiger/ppp/

it is still a categorized view, but everything is still visible on the first page.. (it has a keyword search too, which just spotlights the items that match the keyword)

ohh.. and remember, a control center would be used by a newbie user.. so perhaps we can just hide very advanced options from the default view that is initially presented? y clutter his screen with too many things he is unlikely to use.

in summary

have 2 buttons at the top (which load different set of icons, just like now)
[Basic] [advanced]

under each show icons organized by sections, in one single window.

Personal settings

Hardware

Network and Internet

System admistration

Thanks,
Vivek
saral
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby NiksaVel on Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:51 am

organizing everything into one window separated into categories might not be such a bad idea... I always prefer to have everything visible :)

Not really sure about beginner/advanced options... it just might become one of those things you have to do after installing a new os like click switch to classic view = switch to advanced view :)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby scorp123 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 am

Nothing beats SuSE's "yast" ... that's the best of all, offers basic options for the beginner and yet it is insanely powerful for the (lazy) admin who just wants to get some advanced stuff done quickly by pointing and clicking! And another very very useful thing is the fact that it works both in GUI and in text mode! Extremely useful if you kill your GUI for some reason and need to get stuff (re- ?)configured.

Yast in GUI mode:

Another Yast in GUI mode (window was resized it seems):

Yast in text mode, running inside a terminal:

Yast (terminal mode) in action ... configuring network cards and necessary kernel modules:

Given that "yast" is released under the GPL it would be very cool to have something like that in Mint :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby clem on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:07 am

The next version of Gnome will come with a control center (you can already see Ubuntu taking advantage of that in their Herd5 release), so it's very possible mintConfig won't be needed in Cassandra anymore and be replaced with the Gnome Control Center.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby NiksaVel on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:30 pm

kewl :P
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Non-technical Questions