Cinnammon + G3 - please make it happen! (Clem, please!)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Cinnammon + G3 - please make it happen! (Clem, please!)

Postby Gremuchnik on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:29 pm

I have been using Linux Mint since M12 and I love it. And in the Mint community I have found a heaven of sanity like I suppose many other "Ubuntu refugees". Yet, something is really distressing me: I cannot have both Cinnamon and GNOME 3 on the same M15 machine. I realize that a lot of people hate G3, but I also know that I am hardly the only one who loves it. And, really, I believe that Cinnamon and G3 are the perfect combination! I would love to have an intuitive and yet beautiful desktop environment like Cinnamon running for those who are not comfortable with the rather exotic G3 and yet have the option to log into G3 for me a the few power users I know who love it too.

I have read in the forums here that the problem is that Cinnamon and G3 use different versions of various components, but surely there must be a sane way to keep them apart depending on what the user wants to log in?!

And please do not send me to other distros! I don't want RPMs (been there, done that, never again) or to Ubuntu (been there, done that, never again). I love Mint and I want to keep Mint. Please guys - don't make me chose between my two loves! Find a way to combine these two desktop environments into one distro!!

Many thanks in advance,

G.
Gremuchnik
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cinnammon + G3 - please make it happen! (Clem, please!)

Postby passerby on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:45 am

As of Cinnamon 2.0, more and more of the original GNOME dependencies have been circumvented.
I'm not sure if it's at the point where you can have the two completely separate, but if not, it seems like it will happen.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Gremuchnik on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:29 pm

As of Cinnamon 2.0, more and more of the original GNOME dependencies have been circumvented.

I understand that, but I would imagine that you can have two types of mutually exclusive dependencies co-existing on a single distro. After all, Mint is already bigger than a CD, so once we accept that this is a low-end (in terms of size) DVD distro, that leaves about 3GB of space. Surely there must be a way to have mutually exclusive dependencies coexist? If push comes to shove, then via a multi-boot option, no?
Gremuchnik
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbertP on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:50 am

You can just install gnome-shell from the repository on a Cinnamon system. It'll replace the login screen by Gnome's, but there you will be able to choose between the Gnome and Cinnamon sessions anyway. Any remaining problems, should be mostly fixed in the 2.0 version of Cinnamon with Mint 16.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Non-technical Questions