Addition of Thunderbird Mail Client

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Addition of Thunderbird Mail Client

Postby Uncle Bob on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:48 pm

Just a suggestion, but in any future releases of Mint and the decision is made to include the Moziila Thunderbird mail client, please include one add-in extension to Thunderbird. It's called Lightning, and all it is, it's a calendar. See http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ for more details if needed.

Thanks.
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Addition of Thunderbird Mail Client

Postby mumbo719 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:38 pm

Uncle Bob wrote:Just a suggestion, but in any future releases of Mint and the decision is made to include the Moziila Thunderbird mail client, please include one add-in extension to Thunderbird. It's called Lightning, and all it is, it's a calendar. See http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ for more details if needed.

Thanks.

Thunderbird will be the default e-mail reader in Bianca KDE.

It is in the newsletter.

Bianca KDE Edition

The next release of Linux Mint will be Bianca KDE Edition. It will come as a DVD. Thunderbird, Firefox and Koffice will be the default mail reader, web browser and office suite. Other applications such as Scribus, Inkscape and Gimp were also added. The default KDE menu will be kickoff. The artwork should be based on Carlos's Zen-Green wallpaper.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs412&d=07064&f=m ... -green.png

No release schedule was announced but it was planned that a BETA version would be released prior to the stable release. The KDE Edition will be based on Bianca and use the Kubuntu repositories for Amarok 1.4.5, KDE 3.5.6 and Koffice 1.6.2. It should be the first Linux Mint release generated through the use of remastersys (Ada being previously home-made and other releases being generated through the use of reconstructor).

Last time I tried lightning it has a lot of bugs. Has any progress been made in the last 6 months?
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Uncle Bob on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:39 am

Yup, I saw that in the Newsletter, but I like elves and gnomes and fairies! :wink: Thunderbird was only mentioned for KDE and not GNOME.

I think Evolution is crap and I don't use it at all.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:35 am

Well, it's a possibility. Please elaborate on why you think we should add Thunderbird instead of Evolution.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby AlsaPhil on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:58 am

I think Evolution is crap
Please explain this :oops:
AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Postby scorp123 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:39 am

AlsaPhil wrote:
I think Evolution is crap
Please explain this :oops:
Crashes often, does strange things at times, and the Outlook/Exchange compatibility is not really mature yet. I have better results when I use OWA via a web browser directly. So all in all Evolution is not that great IMHO. I like ThunderBird much much better.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby mumbo719 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:42 am

Evoluton works fine for me and I use it pretty extensively for my business.

I only had 2 minor annoyances 1 of which was overcome pretty easily.

1. Evolution has no out of the box mail notification.
Solved by getting Evolution mail notification from Synaptic. For me it works much better than T-birds notification or even Outlooks.

2. Spell check

Evolution will check the spelling but not make the corrections automatically like Outlook and T-bird. As long as I press F7 when I see a spelling error it will be corrected. Just a minor inconvenience I suppose.

T-Bird with lightning for the PIM, calender, task functions crashes on my system regularly. I did fine with Sunbird, the stand alone calender but I need an integrated solution. I can't stand cutting and pasting from one program to another.

Also I use Open Exchange for my business and Evolution integrates much better than T-Bird.

All in all if Evolution were to be removed from future releases it is an easy download so no big deal.

Got to love OSS, it doesn't cost me hundreds or thousands to figure out a program doesn't work for me. :o
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mfab on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:50 am

Thunderbird is great with its management of the profile folder:
- easy backups (scripted or manually) of mails and configuration possible
- interoperability, which means you can access your mail from linux and windows simultaneously on one system (perhaps even from mac?)

not so sure if evolution covers this as well 8)
mfab
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mumbo719 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:53 am

T-Bird or Sylpheed Claws would be my choice of mail reader for personal use. Both are great products.

As far as using it on multiple OS's I only use Linux for both Business and home use. When on the road I use Open Exchange web access, so there that is not a benefit at least in my situation.

For back ups Sylpheed keeps e-mails in my home folder so backing up home is all I would need to do. maybe T-bird does this also I'm not sure.
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby veloct on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:55 am

I prefer Thunderbird because I like how it handles junk mail and it's very simple to configure it to my taste. I usually just uninstall Evolution and install Thunderbird, I'm ok as long as it's available.
veloct
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mumbo719 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:01 am

veloct wrote:I prefer Thunderbird because I like how it handles junk mail and it's very simple to configure it to my taste. I usually just uninstall Evolution and install Thunderbird, I'm ok as long as it's available.

I agree on the junk mail, I also like the way T-Bird handles images from the net.

I like the folder system from Evolution though. Makes life very non confusing for my non technical wife.

Has anyone tried Balsa? It's in the repos and another nice mail reader.

K-Mail / Kontact it's not for me
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:11 am

OK, it looks like Thunderbird is a winner. There's a good chance it might make its way into Cassandra so.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby mfab on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:27 pm

:D you just gotta love this unbureaucratic way how one can take part in shaping an OS!
i find it really amazing how clem takes interest in the community! Thank you for that and keep up the good work! :wink:
mfab
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Uncle Bob on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:38 pm

clem wrote:Well, it's a possibility. Please elaborate on why you think we should add Thunderbird instead of Evolution.

Clem

I tried Evolution at first. However, it is aimed at the American market and their formats and the rest of the world do not count. I write my dates as day, month, year. My week starts on a MONDAY and not a Sunday.

This really messes me around; if you're born in the previous century, meaning all adults, your birthday cannot be added correctly in Evolution. Seeing as all the months and days were swopped over due to american and British date format differences I had to go through all my contacts. I noticed that everyone born in 19xx gets changed to 20xx for instance if someone was born on 11 March 1961 it would change the date to 11 March 2061 (11/03/61) This really annoys me.

I had a right battle to import my contacts from Outlook, and then it still got messed up. I don't even want to elaborate on the ballsup it made with my calendar entries - also screwed up the dates. Then there was all my reoccuring calendar entries - what a nightmare! On the other hand I had almost no problems with Thunderbird.

To close off my opinion - a simple light weight mail client and calendar is more than sufficient to send/receive email and attachments. There is no point in having a huge application with tons of bells and whistles that hardly ever work and that you need a degree in Rocket Science to configure and set up correctly and uses up all your system resources while doing nothing.

Too bad I cannot remove evolution completely from my machine as there is too many error messages popping up when I try to so its just there wasting my disk space.

Unfortunately I'm currently sober, and in a good mood so I cannot write a novel on my opinion of evolution. :twisted:

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Non-technical Questions