Linux Mint 15 en-US.utf-8 locale problem

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Linux Mint 15 en-US.utf-8 locale problem

Postby rs282 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:05 pm

I've been using Linux Mint 15 Mate for about 6 months after switching from Ubuntu and it's been a great distro.

I've recently developed a locale problem which may have been related to adding Ubuntu and Debian PPAs to my apt sources in order to attempt to install packages not in the Mint repos.

I get "No support for locale: en_US.utf8" and similar messages when running many terminal commands (apt utilities, command not found messages, others). When I click the select language button on the mdm login screen it gives me an empty list to choose from. Also when I go to Language Support in the Mint Control Center it briefly flashes a loading progress bar then disappears.

I've done a bit of searching but the suggestions I've found didn't work. Not sure if that's because my system is misconfigured or if it's due to differences between Mint and Debian/Ubuntu.

Code: Select all
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: locales is broken or not fully installed

$ sudo local-gen --purge --no-archive
sudo: local-gen: command not found

$ locale-gen
The program 'locale-gen' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install locales

$ sudo apt-get install locales
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package locales is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'locales' has no installation candidate

Any ideas? Thanks!
rs282
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Non-technical Questions