Who is Mints target user?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RavenLX

Re: Who is Mints target user?

Post by RavenLX »

Well, I'm sure there are citizens in your country that appreciate your service, nonetheless. :) I have to admit I should be more careful though to get at least the country right! :oops:

That's the thing with Linux is the game stuff. There are a lot of gamers that are still stuck with Windows and who knows what MS will do with that. I think (just a wild guess, not factual) that they might just try to make Windows for things like Tablets and touch screens, phones, etc. and not have it support too many games in the future. For real gaming they might want people to buy an XBox or something. If Linux can run many popular games then it will be a plus for Linux. I heard Steam is or has developed Linux stuff. As for wrappers, when I run some Windows applications in WINE, it appears and runs as if it's a native Linux program. I can even put it in as a menu item and click on it and I wouldn't know the difference. For those who want to see how it's done (probably anyone else out there) I have a tutorial I did for setting things up in PlayOnLinux (which uses WINE) and KDE: http://cgi.bytebin.net/linux/administration/playonlinux.php (I also cover some debugging tips).

I think if enough people write to companies that put out those games though and say that they want a Linux version, they might think about how the Linux user base is growing and come up with Linux versions in the future. Wouldn't hurt to email them and ask.
phrostbyte

Post by phrostbyte »

It's ok, America and Israel have the same enemies. ;)

In regards to Linux gaming, it's already starting to happen somewhat.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2061284/two-top-pc-games-gain-linux-support-ahead-of-steamos.html
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/total-war-rome-ii-coming-linux-early-next-year
RavenLX

Post by RavenLX »

Great links! Hopefully more will be coming out soon. There is a Battlestar Galactica Online for Chrome but it's said that it won't work in the Linux version of Chrome. I also used to play Second Life. I wonder if they have a Linux version for that yet?
phrostbyte

Post by phrostbyte »

Doubtful.. but there's lists of games everywhere. Also.. the humble store has a bunch of games that have Linux support. https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Super Meat Boy is on sale for $2.49, great game!
RavenLX

Post by RavenLX »

Cool! I think there was a place online (forgot where) that had a bunch of links to Linux Games. Don't know how often it's updated. I know there was a KDE site but there was also another one for games that would work with nearly any Linux distro.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

RavenLX wrote:I think there was a place online (forgot where) that had a bunch of links to Linux Games.
I know such place - http://www.lgdb.org/
RavenLX

Post by RavenLX »

Thank you! I think that was the one I was thinking about but when I saw it, it was a long time ago. They have made the site look even better now. Definitely worth bookmarking, especially those who love games.
jjhiza

Post by jjhiza »

This is a really interesting topic...Despite my low post count, I'm not a complete n00b; I have a lot to learn, but I've been running Linux for a year now, and I began the journey with Mint 13, so I feel compelled to chime in.

As others have stated, Mint seems to target a few different demographics:

1) Transitioning Windows users, but not for the reasons we might think - Mint's success with this audience is predicated almost entirely on the streamlined and sexy, yet completely familiar layout of Cinnamon. Yes, Cinnamon is part of the Mint project, but you can install it on other disrtos. The fact that it's stock in Mint, means that when people research the distro, they're seeing screenshots of Cinnamon and thinking, "hey, that looks a lot like Windows', I can see myself using this". Mint wins the perception battle and passes the aesthetics test, long before people decide to even live boot it to test drive it.

2) Jaded Ubuntu/Unity users - Ubuntu is a decent disrto...It's stable (sometimes), user friendly, and boasts a stable of really popular applications. Where Ubuntu and Unity fall short however, is that they seem to be trying to compete directly with MacOS. Unity has a flashy, unorthodox layout (maybe not so unorthodox for Gnome users), and that unfamiliar layout makes it unrelatable for the people from group #1. Unity also seems to be a layout that's better suited for a touch interface, which may turn off its existing users. I had this exact feeling when I test drove Ubuntu 13.04, and on top of the unfamiliar layout, attempts to install and use a different DE, will often cause Ubuntu and Unity to crash. Mint is Ubuntu done right.

3) Gamers - Steam gamers often aren't considered in discussions like this, but they are a massive and ever-growing segment of the Linux population. I'd argue that the success of Valve and Steam will draw more users to the Linux platform, than a project like Ubuntu Touch ever will. Gaming is universal, and Seam is (currently) the only ecosystem that has cross-platform support - meaning Mac users can game with Linux and Windows users, and vise versa, whereas consoles don't provide this option. Steam runs perfectly on Mint (and Ubuntu), whch makes it an ideal distro for gamers.

4) Low maintenance users - People who don't want to spend the time, forcing their system to do what they want. I just came back to Mint after a three month spell on Arch Linux, and I have to say that I have a new appreciation for the way the Mint team handles things. Updating Arch is an every day process, and obtaining new programs, often requires you to build them from the ground up. That's nice, IF you have the time, and IF you need that level of control...I don't. I like the fact that Mint tells me when updates are available, and how the GUI gives me visual feedback about which applications are "safe" to upgrade. It saves me a LOT of time, and keeps me from stressing over which programs may or may not be safe to upgrade. The only benefits I really gained from Arch, is that it's a rolling release (why Mint hasn't taken this approach is beyond me), and therefore, the packages are always the latest versions. I simply didn't have the time to babysit my Arch install, and I don't think many other people do either.

5) Developers - I initially migrated to Linux for one reason - to build Android ROMs. While I suppose you could set up any Linux distro to do this, Mint and Ubuntu are the easiest by far. Google uses Ubuntu for their Android work, so most of the guides you can find, are written with those two distros in mind. I can set up my build environment, and begin syncing the repo in about 20 minutes. On Arch, I was facing at least an hour worth of package building and setup, before I could get to the same place...Mint simplifies the process.

While these are just MY ramblings and opinions, I do feel they're valid. I've tried Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10 and 13.04, Mint 13, 14, 15, and 16, OpenSUSE 12.13, and Arch Linux (with the Cinnamon 2 DE installed)... To date, I find Mint to be the distro that best suits MY needs; It has powerful tools, refinements to Ubuntu under the hood, a fabulous DE, a streamlined, minimalistic look that I enjoy, the ability to customize in almost infinite ways, it supports my hardware well, it's very stable, and it's low maintenance. These things are important to me, which makes ME (not a complete n00b) Mint's target audience as well. I think Mint bridges the gap between power users, new users, developers, and hardcore Linux enthusiasts perfectly. In my opinion, Mint is the best distro available, and it's not even close. :)
passerby

Post by passerby »

I think the gaming side of things will attract more people over to SteamOS (once it's released) rather than Mint.
Many who have never even heard of Linux know of SteamOS, much like Android and ChromeOS.
Although Linux is now at the point where some cards [url=http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_gtx_titan&num=4]can perform better[/url] than on Windows, others [url=http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_thanksgiving_compare&num=1]neck & neck[/url], the number of games is far from satisfactory.
jjhiza

Post by jjhiza »

passerby wrote:I think the gaming side of things will attract more people over to SteamOS (once it's released) rather than Mint.
Many who have never even heard of Linux know of SteamOS, much like Android and ChromeOS.
Although Linux is now at the point where some cards [url=http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_gtx_titan&num=4]can perform better[/url] than on Windows, others [url=http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_thanksgiving_compare&num=1]neck & neck[/url], the number of games is far from satisfactory.
That's very true, SteamOS will be the major driver of the Linux gaming market, but it will inerease exposure for the platform in general. Those who can't afford a Steam Box, will probably go searching for something comparable, and they'll run across Mint and Ubuntu as the "best" options to get a good gaming experience.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Perhaps, but SteamOS will be available for free to download as well, so many users won't bother to look any further.
Of course I'd be happy to see users come to Mint because of SteamOS, and I'm sure some will, but I think the majority won't bother if there's already a free Valve-supported OS available.
But that's okay. We'll benefit from improved hardware and software support anyway :D
jjhiza

Post by jjhiza »

Haha, fair enough, and of course, you're correct. I haven't spent much time, researching SteamOS proper, but my guess is that it will be very game-centric, and maybe less of a full-blown OS. If that's the case, Mint and Ubuntu will still have their place among the gaming community. I hope I'm wrong - I do plan to fire up SteamOS, either live or via VM - because I think Valve and Steam are really onto something.

Just a thought... Hardware compatibility could be a roadblock to SteamOS as a distro. Many people (such as myself) have purchased machines that came preloaded with Windows, and therefore, don't have all of the hardware compatibility that a custom (System76) machine would have. There are certain distros I can't run, either because I need more knowledge regarding proper setup, or because certain drivers simply aren't available. I'm assuming that SteamOS will release with compatibility for the greatest number of machines it can though. It will be interesting to follow its progress. :D
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

jjhiza wrote:This is a really interesting topic...Despite my low post count, I'm not a complete n00b; I have a lot to learn, but I've been running Linux for a year now, and I began the journey with Mint 13, so I feel compelled to chime in.

As others have stated, Mint seems to target a few different demographics:

1) Transitioning Windows users, but not for the reasons we might think - Mint's success with this audience is predicated almost entirely on the streamlined and sexy, yet completely familiar layout of Cinnamon. Yes, Cinnamon is part of the Mint project, but you can install it on other disrtos. The fact that it's stock in Mint, means that when people research the distro, they're seeing screenshots of Cinnamon and thinking, "hey, that looks a lot like Windows', I can see myself using this". Mint wins the perception battle and passes the aesthetics test, long before people decide to even live boot it to test drive it.

2) Jaded Ubuntu/Unity users - Ubuntu is a decent disrto...It's stable (sometimes), user friendly, and boasts a stable of really popular applications. Where Ubuntu and Unity fall short however, is that they seem to be trying to compete directly with MacOS. Unity has a flashy, unorthodox layout (maybe not so unorthodox for Gnome users), and that unfamiliar layout makes it unrelatable for the people from group #1. Unity also seems to be a layout that's better suited for a touch interface, which may turn off its existing users. I had this exact feeling when I test drove Ubuntu 13.04, and on top of the unfamiliar layout, attempts to install and use a different DE, will often cause Ubuntu and Unity to crash. Mint is Ubuntu done right.

3) Gamers - Steam gamers often aren't considered in discussions like this, but they are a massive and ever-growing segment of the Linux population. I'd argue that the success of Valve and Steam will draw more users to the Linux platform, than a project like Ubuntu Touch ever will. Gaming is universal, and Seam is (currently) the only ecosystem that has cross-platform support - meaning Mac users can game with Linux and Windows users, and vise versa, whereas consoles don't provide this option. Steam runs perfectly on Mint (and Ubuntu), whch makes it an ideal distro for gamers.

4) Low maintenance users - People who don't want to spend the time, forcing their system to do what they want. I just came back to Mint after a three month spell on Arch Linux, and I have to say that I have a new appreciation for the way the Mint team handles things. Updating Arch is an every day process, and obtaining new programs, often requires you to build them from the ground up. That's nice, IF you have the time, and IF you need that level of control...I don't. I like the fact that Mint tells me when updates are available, and how the GUI gives me visual feedback about which applications are "safe" to upgrade. It saves me a LOT of time, and keeps me from stressing over which programs may or may not be safe to upgrade. The only benefits I really gained from Arch, is that it's a rolling release (why Mint hasn't taken this approach is beyond me), and therefore, the packages are always the latest versions. I simply didn't have the time to babysit my Arch install, and I don't think many other people do either.

5) Developers - I initially migrated to Linux for one reason - to build Android ROMs. While I suppose you could set up any Linux distro to do this, Mint and Ubuntu are the easiest by far. Google uses Ubuntu for their Android work, so most of the guides you can find, are written with those two distros in mind. I can set up my build environment, and begin syncing the repo in about 20 minutes. On Arch, I was facing at least an hour worth of package building and setup, before I could get to the same place...Mint simplifies the process.

While these are just MY ramblings and opinions, I do feel they're valid. I've tried Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10 and 13.04, Mint 13, 14, 15, and 16, OpenSUSE 12.13, and Arch Linux (with the Cinnamon 2 DE installed)... To date, I find Mint to be the distro that best suits MY needs; It has powerful tools, refinements to Ubuntu under the hood, a fabulous DE, a streamlined, minimalistic look that I enjoy, the ability to customize in almost infinite ways, it supports my hardware well, it's very stable, and it's low maintenance. These things are important to me, which makes ME (not a complete n00b) Mint's target audience as well. I think Mint bridges the gap between power users, new users, developers, and hardcore Linux enthusiasts perfectly. In my opinion, Mint is the best distro available, and it's not even close. :)
Yeah a users experience on Linux should not be judged on there post count. Thats just silly yet i see other distro fourms doing that. Anyway you seem like you would really enjoy Manjaro Linux. Its arch based and its rolling stable branch is really great. Keep in mind the stable branch is cutting edge not bleeding edge. Plus Mint is already rolling well semi rolling its called Linux Mint Debian Edition. The thing about steam is that i am pretty sure most people still wine it because the wine version has more games. This is not good because the database(Might not be the right word) sees it as another windows install/user. You want it to see it as another linux install/user so more games get ported to that version. The bigger the Linux user base becomes the more games that we will get from Steam. so maybe setting up a bot of some sort to download the linux version over and over again might work :lol:
Also one reason i came to Mint was for Andriod Rom building,too!! Think you could PM some tips and experiences with it?? But yeah i am not a linux/Steam expert nor do a claim to be so i could be total wrong on all that.
jjhiza

Post by jjhiza »

Incentive I.C wrote:Yeah a users experience on Linux should not be judged on there post count. Thats just silly yet i see other distro fourms doing that. Anyway you seem like you would really enjoy Manjaro Linux. Its arch based and its rolling stable branch is really great. Keep in mind the stable branch is cutting edge not bleeding edge. Plus Mint is already rolling well semi rolling its called Linux Mint Debian Edition. The thing about steam is that i am pretty sure most people still wine it because the wine version has more games. This is not good because the database(Might not be the right word) sees it as another windows install/user. You want it to see it as another linux install/user so more games get ported to that version. The bigger the Linux user base becomes the more games that we will get from Steam. so maybe setting up a bot of some sort to download the linux version over and over again might work :lol:
Also one reason i came to Mint was for Andriod Rom building,too!! Think you could PM some tips and experiences with it?? But yeah i am not a linux/Steam expert nor do a claim to be so i could be total wrong on all that.
Those are some great points! I honestly haven't tried Manjaro, because it didn't really pass my "looks" test when I visited the page. The oonly flavor that really appealed to me was the OpenBox edition, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable, transitioning to a tiling window manager layout yet. Also, after coming back from Arch, I'd probably be a little hesitant to go back to an Arch-based distro, because of the time required to get my build environment set up. Like I said, getting everything set up in Arch would take at least an hour, whereas Mint or Ubuntu allow me to get from Point A to Point B in about 20 minutes...Then I can start my repo sync, and go do something else. As far as LMDE is concerned - I LOVE the concept, but unfortunately, when I tried installing it, it wouldn't recognize my Wi-Fi, which is a major problem. I'm pretty sure I need to spend more time with it, in order to sort the problem out...I just didn't have that free time when I went through the install process (about 4 months ago). I'll take it for another spin in a week or so, once I'm on winter break.

I've also never messed with Wine... My first exposure to Steam was once I had transitioned to Linux. I'm a console gamer by nature, but in the past, I really enjoyed playing Age of Empires, The Sims, Baldur's Gate, and Diablo on my ancient Windows machine, but now that time is limited, I don't really think about PC gaming any more. That's mainly because 1) I've paid for console games, and I don't want to shell out extra money for a game I already own (Skyrim for example), and 2) I always viewed PC games as lower quality for some reason. With that said, I've installed DOTA2, which is great, and I'm thinking about buying Trine 2 and Dungeon Defenders. Trine just looks amazing, and I've played Dungeon Defenders on my Galaxy Tab, and I love it. It does kinda suck that the Linux game library is pretty small right now, but with SteamOS and SteamBox on the horizon, I may find myself migrating away from next-gen consoles, and onto Steam full time. The main reason is because I'll be able to play games with my friends...At the moment, I own an Xbox 360, while all of my friends have the PS3. The lack of a cross-platform server (would be a MASSIVE money maker for Sony and MS) is a bit of a deal breaker for me, but I'm not going to shell out $800 for a new console. $200 for a SteamBox is more realistic, and I'll be pushing all of my friends to jump on the bandwagon with me. :D

And sure, I'd love to "talk shop" about Android dev work! I currently only build AOSP for the Nexus family, but I'm always looking for new tips and tricks to improve my development skill. :)
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

CtrlAltDel wrote:Tall, strong, virile men who provide for helpless families that rely on them to protect and feed them. That is the target audience of Mint.
Ahem...
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

CtrlAltDel wrote:;-) Satire isn't always the best choice; I love Mint chicks.
:P Just pulling your leg whilst I can.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

CtrlAltDel wrote:I love Mint chicks.
"Mint Chicks"?

That sounds like something on Dairy Queen's menu...

:o
konjad

Post by konjad »

I am the Mint's target user. I hope this answers your question.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

biessri wrote:I used to be an Ubuntu user but the version after 10.10 were terrible and that's the reason I came to Mint.
Same reason as mine. But I think I was trapped in Ubuntu because I did not know much about others, but it was a great start anyway.

Linux Mint fits perfectly for my purposes. And I use it comfortably.
Who is Mints target user?
I think it is from new to more experienced users, without problems.
barth90
Level 3
Level 3

Post by barth90 »

I'm probably the typical new user of Mint.
A month ago I decided that I wanted to distance myself from Windows. I installed Mint 17.1 Cinnamon on my desktop and my laptop.
Then, in that month, started to play with it. I read this forum on a daily basis and pick up all kind of new tricks. I was able to automount my storage disk at startup, create a Samba environment for the network, and add little apps like Docky. I even like to play with the terminal!
I chose Mint (over Ubuntu, which I tried) because of its ease of use and the level of support.

It is an OS that I feel comfortable with and confident that I grow with in the years to come.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”