Who is Mints target user?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

Re: Who is Mints target user?

Post by DeMus »

My story has been told by others already: started with DOS3.3, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, even ME, 2000 (at wotk) XP, a very short time Vista (guess you all know why) and before 7 came out I transferred to Linux: Ubuntu's Hardy Heron 8.04.
This was followed by 9.04 and 10.04 (never used the .10 releases cause they were not as good, so I've read). By the time 11.04 arrived it was time to quit using Ubuntu because of the dreadful Unity and Gnome 3. This is where Microsoft got the idea on how to build 8 and newer.
I then moved over to Mint and although, and even last weekend I tried it again, I have tried other distributions somehow my computer doesn't like them and it only runs well on Mint.
The first Mints I used the Gnome2 versions but suddenly I moved to KDE and still use it. I simply love it, it is so customizable, it looks great, works great, and the idea that it is slower than other DE's is, to me at least, a myth.
Mint is based on Ubuntu but I never use Ubuntu again. I simply don't like where they are going. I mean when I search for something on the net I want real answers, not answers from Amazon and others like that. Here in Holland we don't have Amazon (afaik) and I hope it stays like that.
I have tried using Kubuntu but it just doesn't do what I want it to do, so it was Mint KDE again, very fast.

Just as many other users I use the computer for browsing the net, emailing, using an office program for text and spreadsheets, listen to music, watching videos, nothing hightech. The system just has to run when I want it to run, it has to be stable, fast, and most of all: safe. And so, I come back to my story on the community pages: The 3 S'es. (http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1123
Thraxy

Post by Thraxy »

I've been a Linux user for the last 8 or so years. Well, I'm an on/off user, but Linux Mint is always the distro I come back to every time. I'm not a programmer, and while I do build my own systems I'm not much of a hardware buff either. I think what attracts me to Mint is the ease of install (flash, java etc.) and that the Cinnamon DE doesn't break my workflow, like some other desktops do. Also, Clem fixed that one and only bug I submitted instantly, so I like him :lol:

What I need from an OS is a bit of image editing, video editing and gaming. At this stage Linux Mint (and most other distros, to be fair) can deliver. Ok, I'll be honest... I like green damnit.

Edit: I think I should mention that most desktop environments I've tried have been great. It's really only Unity that breaks my workflow xD
jtarin

Post by jtarin »

Linux user for over 18 years.....Slackware user ....forever. Grew weary of package management and jumped to Ubuntu for efficiency. Jumped Ubuntu/Unity to Mint and wouldn't consider anything else...now.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”