EOL Edition Support Question

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

EOL Edition Support Question

Postby SC23 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Is there a place that lists the various editions and their end of life support? I cant seem to find it.

Thanks in advance.

SC
SC23
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: EOL Edition Support Question

Postby xenopeek on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:49 pm

On the "all versions" tab under downloads on the main website: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby SC23 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:50 pm

I thought I had seen it somewhere.. kind thanks sir. :)
SC23
Level 3
Level 3

Postby SC23 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:37 pm

As I was kinda looking forward and not back.. I found this after asking here..so I am leaving it for others wondering when the next LTS is and when the last one dies..

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

here is the meat of that page..

SC23
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DeMus on Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:27 am

I really wish they would stop with these extremely short release cycles. I mean 9 months is way too short. Once you've got things installed and setup the way you want it, have waited for errors to be resolved, the 9 months have passed and you can start allover again.
I know this is because Mark Shuttleworth (Ubuntu) decided this in his attempt to ruin the Linux world, but why follow that guy? Make your own release cycle and let people enjoy a release instead of having to be busy installing and configuring it constantly.

Why not one (yes only one) release per year, in the odd years a release with a life time of say 1,5 years, in the even years an LTS release with a life time of 5 years.
That way, even with the normal releases, you have time enough to use it and wait for the next one to be stable before updating, and if one year is too short stick with the LTS version and have 5 years of uninterrupted service.
Six months is just too short and in combination with the 9 months life time it is simply madness.
Attachments
Release schedule.pdf
(73.68 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
No more Windows and Gates since Ubuntu 8.04, used 9.04, 10.04, then switched to Kubuntu because of Unity and Gnome 3.
After that it is Mint, used 9 till 16 all in KDE version and loving it.
DeMus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xenopeek on Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:02 am

Linux Mint is committed to a 6 month release cycle, as that is what works for the development teams and keeps them motivated. That said, yes the 9 month support period for non-LTS releases is a problem. For the next two releases the Linux Mint developers will be evaluating that and considering alternatives. Like for example using an updated LTS base for non-LTS releases instead.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby konjad on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:21 am

Mint devs could also just release LTS versions since Mint 17 forward, I don't think there would be many disappointed users, if any at all. Those who just like to change constantly are not likely to attach themselves to one distro anyway.
konjad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cwsnyder on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:57 am

konjad wrote:Mint devs could also just release LTS versions since Mint 17 forward, I don't think there would be many disappointed users, if any at all. Those who just like to change constantly are not likely to attach themselves to one distro anyway.
An LTS every 6 months to a year is unlikely to the extreme. The developers have enough to do without supporting 10 editions or more at one time over all of the applications in the distribution and all hardware bugs.

Even paid support, like SuSE Linux Enterprise Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and Canonical's Ubuntu Server support only support a new edition about every 2 years. Debian, which is unpaid, only really supports a new edition every 2 years, and only supports 2 editions at one time for security and bug fixes, that is their stable and old-stable branches.

Ubuntu, when they went to a 9 month support cycle instead of the previous 18 month cycle were looking to cut the number of editions requiring support because it was cutting into their budget of time/money/people.

Simply do as many of the 'old Linux hands' and view the 9 month releases as extended beta software, testing concepts which might be used in the LTS release.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM16 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 13.10 64-bit, Xubuntu Trusty Tahr 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Postby SC23 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:57 am

cwsnyder wrote:... view the 9 month releases as extended beta software, testing concepts which might be used in the LTS release.

This is probably the most important thing I have learned since my jump in the pool 6 or so months ago, especially when they cut the support back to 9 months.
SC23
Level 3
Level 3

Postby konjad on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:40 pm

cwsnyder wrote:
konjad wrote:Mint devs could also just release LTS versions since Mint 17 forward, I don't think there would be many disappointed users, if any at all. Those who just like to change constantly are not likely to attach themselves to one distro anyway.
An LTS every 6 months to a year is unlikely to the extreme. The developers have enough to do without supporting 10 editions or more at one time over all of the applications in the distribution and all hardware bugs.

Even paid support, like SuSE Linux Enterprise Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and Canonical's Ubuntu Server support only support a new edition about every 2 years. Debian, which is unpaid, only really supports a new edition every 2 years, and only supports 2 editions at one time for security and bug fixes, that is their stable and old-stable branches.

Ubuntu, when they went to a 9 month support cycle instead of the previous 18 month cycle were looking to cut the number of editions requiring support because it was cutting into their budget of time/money/people.

Simply do as many of the 'old Linux hands' and view the 9 month releases as extended beta software, testing concepts which might be used in the LTS release.

I meant making Mint just out of Ubuntu LTS releases, skipping short-term support releases... it would make far less work for the devs, not more, as they wouldn't be bothering with new version every six months, but only 2 years.
konjad
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Non-technical Questions