Where to report language mistakes?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Where to report language mistakes?

Postby owilleke on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:04 pm

EDIT: I'm hoping one of the admins can move this post over to the "Non-technical" questions board, where a similar question was asked. Thank you.

Embarrassingly simple question, but I couldn't find the solution after 15mins of DDG/Google:

where do I report language mistakes in linux programs?

That's the general question and I'm expecting to get replies like 'address them at the developer', but in this case it's a generic tool: the script/function that gets called when something is not on your path:

Code: Select all
~ $ ifconfig
Command 'ifconfig' is available in '/sbin/ifconfig'
The command could not be located because '/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative priviledges associated with your user account.
ifconfig: command not found

I'm not a native speaker, but you can clearly see "priviledges" is written incorrectly. It's absolutely not a functional bug, but when I saw it, I wondered "hmm, how does one in fact report these silly things?" (actual bug-reporting is more straight-forward).
owilleke
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Where to report language mistakes?

Postby martywd on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:02 am

ifconfig Is part of the 'net-tools' package. The following from my LMDE 201403 commandline. Note 'Homepage' at the bottom for further info. EDIT: The 'Homepage' link at the bottom is deprecated. Try this one instead: http://sourceforge.net/projects/net-tools/
------------------------------------------------
xxxxxx ~ # aptitude show net-tools
Package: net-tools
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1.60-25
Priority: important
Section: net
Maintainer: net-tools Team <pkg-net-tools-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 932 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14)
Conflicts: ja-trans (<= 0.8-2), ja-trans (<= 0.8-2), net-tools
Replaces: ja-trans (<= 0.8-2), ja-trans (<= 0.8-2), netbase (< 4.00), netbase (< 4.00)
Description: The NET-3 networking toolkit
This package includes the important tools for controlling the network subsystem of the Linux
kernel. This includes arp, ifconfig, netstat, rarp, nameif and route. Additionally, this
package contains utilities relating to particular network hardware types (plipconfig, slattach,
mii-tool) and advanced aspects of IP configuration (iptunnel, ipmaddr).

In the upstream package 'hostname' and friends are included. Those are not installed by this
package, since there is a special "hostname*.deb".
Homepage: http://net-tools.berlios.de/
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Where to report language mistakes?

Postby Pilosopong Tasyo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:50 am

owilleke wrote:...move this post over to the "Non-technical" questions board...

Moved as requested.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Non-technical Questions