immediate update to new kernel

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

immediate update to new kernel

Postby actaea on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:12 am

I thought I'd share my experience with a new install of LinuxMint, as someone just passing through. (I'm waiting for the new version of Sabayon.) First, the install on my laptop went fine and then for the first time after intsalling seven linuxes, I got wireless networking to work! Bravo! Windows was also correctly detected for grub.

I noticed that there were some updates and clicked to let them happen, as I did some websurfing. After a while, I shutdown my laptop and came back to it later. I was somewhat confused by the grub screen. It no longer mentioned Windows and seem to point towards an old kernel. I selected the new kernel and wireless networking was no longer an option among the network settings. After two reboots, I decided to use the old kernel where the wireless networking worked. I finally determined that I should combine the new menu.lst file with the old one. All in all, it was a confusing experience for me and would put off newbies.

I hope that this information helps you improve LinuxMint!
actaea
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby actaea on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:50 am

I noticed a new networking issue. Obviously, I'm posting this on the network now, but the network indicator by the clock says I'm not connected.

Also in order to connect, I have to unclick wireless networking and then reclick. It would be much better to have a connect now button!
actaea
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:22 pm

I personally don't upgrade to the new kernel. I heard a lot of people had issues with 2.6.17-11 and I don't recommend upgrading.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Networking problem in Linux Mint

Postby JESUS_RULES on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:02 pm

I am unable to usenetworking after upgrade, how do I undo upgrade?
JESUS_RULES
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions