Wayland or Mir?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rogerdv
Level 1
Level 1

Wayland or Mir?

Post by rogerdv »

What graphic server is going to use Mint, Wayland or Mir? I guess that the second, as it is based on Ubuntu, am I right?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Wayland or Mir?

Post by DrHu »

If there are no bugs/launchpad problems that affect your system
--any one you want to or the one that is being actively developed or included with Mint versions..
passerby

Post by passerby »

Too early to say, though fwiw, MATE is working on Wayland support, and I haven't heard of any DE's other than Unity using (or planning to use) Mir.
tadaensylvermane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tadaensylvermane »

I'm betting wayland. No one likes Mir, Intel said they won't work with it. Even Xubuntu, Kubuntu, GnomeBuntu, Lubuntu are all going wayland. So far Ubuntu is it for Mir and I figure that is how it will stay.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

I would say that since MATE is working on Wayland support and Cinnamon will probably port Wayland support from GNOME3, as well as it being easier to patch graphics drivers to run with Wayland, I would say Wayland.

The official stance is that they will continue to use X until they've had time to test both and worked out which one works better for them.

@rogerv: The Mint developers can build their own packages with their own set of dependencies that can override the Ubuntu defaults, so they can build their system off the Ubuntu base however they like. You know that they built Mint 16 from the ground up like this, instead of just re-packaging Ubuntu (which they did pre-Mint 16)?

This means that Ubuntu could use Mir and the Mint team could use Wayland no problems.
rogerdv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rogerdv »

Excellent. I left ubuntu because I think Mir is not a good idea.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

rogerdv wrote:Excellent. I left ubuntu because I think Mir is not a good idea.

rogerdv, I think it premature to say it was a good idea or bad. But I guess we will all find out soon enough.
RenanAR

Post by RenanAR »

I have the same doubt =P

Return to “Non-technical Questions”