Why is Java installed by default?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yoni

Why is Java installed by default?

Post by Yoni »

Be gentle with me as i'm still a Windows user at the moment. :)

I wondered why Mint has Java installed as default when others don't :?:

Are there popular webpages that still need java to work?

Thanks

Yoni
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why is Java installed by default?

Post by xenopeek »

All kinds of software is written in Java, or has extension written in Java. Think LibreOffice, Minecraft, and so on. Hence Linux Mint comes with Java installed so you can run all those programs and games without needing to first install Java.

Linux Mint comes with a lot of things installed that are all missing from a Windows install. Welcome to a usable operating system :wink:
Yoni

Post by Yoni »

Thanks xenopeek :)

Do sites like Youtube need Java?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't use any website that need Java, and personally I've always disabled Java in the browser as I consider it a security risk. I've read from a few users here that some US banks use Java on their websites. So you might find that you need Java enabled in your browser for some of your websites.
Yoni

Post by Yoni »

LOL , i keep going to click the thanks button and there isn't one. :P

Would i be breaking any rules if i ask users opinions on this forum between Mint and Puppy Linux as both have been suggested to me as an option to move away from Windows.

I never play any games so Windows 8.1 seems pretty pointless.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can talk about other Linux distros in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=61. A question like that would be fine there.
Yoni

Post by Yoni »

You have been a great help , Thanks :)
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

FYI Mint comes with OpenJava which is an independent imitation of the proper Oracle Java. In Windows you can download and install Oracle Java quite easily. For reasons which I don't understand but are probably due to licensing this is not so easy in linux.
Last edited by mintybits on Thu May 29, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoni

Post by Yoni »

Some one said that Mint Java was different to windows java so that explains what they ment.

Thanks MintyBitz. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

mintybits wrote:FYI Mint comes with OpenJava which is an independent imitation of the proper Oracle Java. In Windows you can download and install Oracle Java quite easily. For reasons which I don't understand but are probably due to licensing this is not so easy in linux.
Actually you have that the wrong way around. OpenJDK Java as installed by default on Linux Mint is the reference implementation of Java. Oracle contributes actively to OpenJDK. Learn more: http://openjdk.java.net/faq/

Oracle's own commercial Java has a license that prohibits operating systems from including it. Hence it isn't available on Linux Mint.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

xenopeek wrote:
mintybits wrote:FYI Mint comes with OpenJava which is an independent imitation of the proper Oracle Java. In Windows you can download and install Oracle Java quite easily. For reasons which I don't understand but are probably due to licensing this is not so easy in linux.
Actually you have that the wrong way around. OpenJDK Java as installed by default on Linux Mint is the reference implementation of Java. Oracle contributes actively to OpenJDK. Learn more: http://openjdk.java.net/faq/

Oracle's own commercial Java has a license that prohibits operating systems from including it. Hence it isn't available on Linux Mint.
When you say "reference" what do you mean? I accept that my characterisation of "imitation" is not accurate - it is more a sort of collaboration/commonality relationship. SO I withdraw that. But reference implies, to me, the highest quality and functionality standard which is, in my experience, Oracle's.

See: http://www.reddit.com/r/Clojure/comment ... racle_jdk/

Since Oracle has excellent resources and owns Java (having bought it along with Sun). I have complete confidence that Oracle Java is more reliable than OpenJava. Indeed, not everything is "open" such as the plugin; IcedTea is the homebrew version of it. The link I gave suggests that prior to v7 OpenJava was flakey but is a lot better now. My own experience, maybe over a year ago, of OpenJava was not good - it failed to work properly for my share trading app from Schwab. Perhaps it is ok now. But aside from some inconvenience of installing Oracle Java I see only downsides in using OpenJava (unless you are on a crusade against Corporate software). Oracle Java has always been the reference as far as I'm concerned and it stands to reason that is should be.

I think Mint should provide the best available software regardless of origins. I think it is a shame that Mint cannot agree a scheme with Oracle so that Mint comes with Oracle Java...even if the user has to tick a licence agreement as they do in Windows. Speaking of Windows users...is there any reason a Windows user would choose to install OpenJava instead of Oracle Java?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I meant it was the reference for the Java 7 standard: https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/m ... jdk_as_the

I've personally never had any issues running Java programs under OpenJDK (not OpenJava -- that's a confusing term). Use whatever works for you.

Anyway, enough off-topic :)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”