"Ignored" terms in forum search

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomliotta
Level 2
Level 2

"Ignored" terms in forum search

Post by tomliotta »

Why are so many useful (critical?) terms ignored in forum searches? It makes it difficult to narrow down a number of sets of results.

I tried to find any threads about "root partition" but 'root' is an ignored word. The resulting list of topics was huge since partition shows up many times, and I never found a relevant topic because my available time was too short. I changed 'root' to 'rooted' and got a number of hits, but they were all about smart-phones/tablets that had been 'rooted'. I had an error about a 'root partition' and wanted to know what it meant.

Sure, a few google searches and plenty of reading finally got me to a point where I could guess how to get around the problem. But I never found any article that actually had the info I wanted. I'm sure such articles exist. And I could have simply posted a 'Newbie' question, but I couldn't believe it wouldn't simply be a duplicate of a number of other "hidden" topics.

Right now, I'm looking for any references to "system font". I'm curious about anything that might allow changing the default system font that is used for icon texts or for most of the basic apps. But 'font' is ignored, so I can't narrow the search to "system +font" to ensure that 'font' is included and that both terms must be found. Instead, I get a meaningless, huge set of results.

Maybe worst of all is that something like "12" is ignored. If I'm only interested in topics that refer to 'Mint 12 install black screen', I can't see any way to get it done. (As it was, I tried something that I never saw mentioned anywhere, and it's worked ever since. After my third install attempt and numerous reboots with slightly different changes from who knows how many topics, none of which had anything to do with the final thing I tried, suddenly it worked. Did I just not scroll through enough topics? I looked at a lot of them.)

So, why so many ignored words? That makes sense when a search is for 'any term in the list', but not when it's for 'all terms in the list', and especially for a term marked as 'required'.

Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tom

Lenovo W520 ThinkPad,Core i7, 16GB, 250GB HDD (LM18 Cinnamon 64-bit)
and numerous others.
vidtek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Ignored" terms in forum search

Post by vidtek »

tomliotta wrote:Why are so many useful (critical?) terms ignored in forum searches? It makes it difficult to narrow down a number of sets of results.

I tried to find any threads about "root partition" but 'root' is an ignored word. The resulting list of topics was huge since partition shows up many times, and I never found a relevant topic because my available time was too short. I changed 'root' to 'rooted' and got a number of hits, but they were all about smart-phones/tablets that had been 'rooted'. I had an error about a 'root partition' and wanted to know what it meant.

Sure, a few google searches and plenty of reading finally got me to a point where I could guess how to get around the problem. But I never found any article that actually had the info I wanted. I'm sure such articles exist. And I could have simply posted a 'Newbie' question, but I couldn't believe it wouldn't simply be a duplicate of a number of other "hidden" topics.

Right now, I'm looking for any references to "system font". I'm curious about anything that might allow changing the default system font that is used for icon texts or for most of the basic apps. But 'font' is ignored, so I can't narrow the search to "system +font" to ensure that 'font' is included and that both terms must be found. Instead, I get a meaningless, huge set of results.

Maybe worst of all is that something like "12" is ignored. If I'm only interested in topics that refer to 'Mint 12 install black screen', I can't see any way to get it done. (As it was, I tried something that I never saw mentioned anywhere, and it's worked ever since. After my third install attempt and numerous reboots with slightly different changes from who knows how many topics, none of which had anything to do with the final thing I tried, suddenly it worked. Did I just not scroll through enough topics? I looked at a lot of them.)

So, why so many ignored words? That makes sense when a search is for 'any term in the list', but not when it's for 'all terms in the list', and especially for a term marked as 'required'.

Tom
Hi Tom-
Couln't agree more-I've been frustrated by this myself on numerous occasions, it would be nice to get a sensible answer from a moderator.
Tony
Asus Z270 i7 16gb ram 8.25tb GT960 TSB6205 Quad tuner 64-bit Mint 18.2 Sonya KDE & win 10 Be/FE myth 0.28
Laptop Samsung NP R580 i5 nvidia linux ultimate & win 10
tomliotta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tomliotta »

BTW, I did just find a related forum topic for my "system +font" issue through a google search. Though it didn't address my desktop type, it gave me enough ideas to look in a few different places; and I found where the setting was. It wasn't an answer exactly, but it was here in this forum and I worked out my answer from it.

Would've been a lot quicker just to find it directly.

Tom
Tom

and numerous others.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

I've always just used a popular search engine that supports the "site:" keyword

eg: gurgle/startpage

Code: Select all

phrase site:forums.linuxmint.com
just seems faster to me.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Like last post, I tend to use the internet as a search tool to find more complex selections
So, I might search via
Linux + Mint + scanner + brother + dcp-197C
  • I don't expect the same options within these forums
    --they have to manage/limit the data somehow..
If it only a single keyword, I can use these forums
scanner (search word)
--but in that case I will get too many hits or none at all if no-one used the term scanner
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

If you are using the Google Chrome browser, there is a "Search the current site" extension you can add to your toolbar.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fombdekjcp

Or you can simply use Google search and add the site:forums.linuxmint.com as Habitual suggested.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
tomliotta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tomliotta »

I'm well aware that other search engines can get the job done, but that doesn't answer the question of why it can't be done within the site itself. The site's search is regularly ineffective, so the question could be more general about why a search feature is even presented.

Since I most often have to use an external search and qualify it back to this site, it seems that local site search should simply be taken off the page. Or perhaps it could just auto-redirect to an external engine.

Overall, it's simply not clear why so many needed terms are ignored. Ignored words like "the", "linux" and "mint" seem reasonable since they either add nothing or are implicit in the site. But "root", "font" and "12" do not. I'm looking for some sense about the forum itself.

Tom
Tom

and numerous others.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

I have the same concern. Very frustrating since anything relevant will have oft used terms and short acronyms. Pretty stupid to have to go outside to google etc. But it looks like its a problem with the forum program which wasnt made here..
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
Tom P

Post by Tom P »

add me to the list. The search option is near useless.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Forum search is not 'broken' as such,
but, rather, it is has a limited 'search engine'.

phrase site:forums.linuxmint.com
use that instead.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
tomliotta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tomliotta »

Aaarrgghh! I just now wanted to see if there were any previous posts recommending a particular VNC server function for LM. The initial obvious search terms were [ vnc server ]. The list that came back showed a couple thousand hits, but a quick scroll down showed that only "server" was highlighted in the previews.

I assumed that "server" was swamping any "vnc" hits, so I changed the search to be just [ vnc ] and got zero hits. Why? Because vnc is an ignored word!

Seriously? "Server" is allowed but "vnc" is not???

Aaarrgghh! Sigh.
Tom

and numerous others.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

tomliotta wrote:Aaarrgghh! I just now wanted to see if there were any previous posts recommending a particular VNC server function for LM. The initial obvious search terms were [ vnc server ]. The list that came back showed a couple thousand hits, but a quick scroll down showed that only "server" was highlighted in the previews.

I assumed that "server" was swamping any "vnc" hits, so I changed the search to be just [ vnc ] and got zero hits. Why? Because vnc is an ignored word!

Seriously? "Server" is allowed but "vnc" is not???

Aaarrgghh! Sigh.
This bothered me for about "a minute" when it first happened to me, but I was a GoogleDork before the word was coined, so I've used google.fu like so ever since... to get over it.
vnc
vnc server
Adapt. be flexible.
tomliotta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tomliotta »

Habitual wrote:This bothered me for about "a minute" when it first happened to me, but I was a GoogleDork before the word was coined,...
Likewise, for the past 16 or 17 years or so. But that doesn't affect the usefulness of this site's search feature. Why have the feature, why invest effort in it, why use whatever resources it requires, if it's less than useful? The issue is whether the feature is useful to community members, not whether going somewhere else is better. Having to go elsewhere shouldn't be what new members learn about the site, should it?
Tom

and numerous others.
in-gold

Post by in-gold »

I have the same problem when I was trying to search for windows 10. I got results windows 7, windows XP. all else. I tried the +prefix, single and double quotes, The search needs an AND/OR/XOR Boolean logical operations.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

in-gold wrote:I have the same problem when I was trying to search for windows 10. I got results windows 7, windows XP. all else. I tried the +prefix, single and double quotes, The search needs an AND/OR/XOR Boolean logical operations.
"Windows 10" is the phrase to search for.

Search found 124727 matches: windows 10
Class dismissed.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”