"Not authorized to read this forum" I already posted to?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

"Not authorized to read this forum" I already posted to?

Post by kmb42vt »

I'm not too sure what's going on here but I've posted a few comments to this forum thread already:

Switch to SystemD

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=134472

It's a rather old thread but still gets comments from folks now and then including me. The thread is typically Linux Mint polite with users offering their opinions of the pros and cons of Mint eventually switching to systemd. Everyone who knows me on this forum knows that I always keep my tone polite and courteous so that's not a factor. Now, after receiving an email notification of a new reply to the above referenced thread this evening, all of a sudden I'm "not authorized to read this forum" (meaning this particular thread)? What happened? It's still a viable thread, there was no violation of forum rules anywhere to be found in the comments and it's available to the general forum users.

Could anyone possibly shed some light on this please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: "Not authorized to read this forum" I already posted to?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, kmb42vt.

Investigation why the thread has become inaccessible has been started ...
Any user trying to view this thread would receive the same error message. So it is not limited to you.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

kmb42vt wrote:The thread is typically Linux Mint polite with users offering their opinions of the pros and cons of Mint eventually switching to systemd.
It started out like that, sure. The topic is currently under review due to recent comments and I moved it archive, where only forum staff can access it, because I didn't want the topic to blow up overnight.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

xenopeek wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:The thread is typically Linux Mint polite with users offering their opinions of the pros and cons of Mint eventually switching to systemd.
It started out like that, sure. The topic is currently under review due to recent comments and I moved it archive, where only forum staff can access it, because I didn't want the topic to blow up overnight.
Well, okay then. 8) I figured it was something like that. That last email I got about a new reply to the thread must have come in right before you took the conversation to "archives". Too bad as the conversation was pretty interesting. It's also too bad that some folks can't keep it civil and put aside any personal, (sometimes very) subjective Linux "dogma" so to speak. I mean no offense by that of course, but a little objectivity in conversations always helps? :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
nomko

Post by nomko »

I see a label at the top saying locked. So i guess that thread is locked and thats why you cannot post in thathread, vene though you could in the past. Some users here have a nasty habbit of reviving old threads...
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

nomko wrote:I see a label at the top saying locked. So i guess that thread is locked and thats why you cannot post in thathread, vene though you could in the past. Some users here have a nasty habbit of reviving old threads...
It is now but as "xenopeek" stated in a previous comment, the thread was first moved to "Archives" where it only could be read by forum staff. At that point, no one but forum staff could even view the thread so clicking a link to thread opened only to a "Not authorized to read this forum" page, not the actual thread. Now that it's been officially "locked" by "xenopeek", anyone can access and read it but not comment to it.

Probably a wise thing? 8)
nomko

Post by nomko »

kmb42vt wrote: Probably a wise thing?
If it is an old thread which has been revived, it would be a wise thing. If you what kind of responses such old threads get....hilarious and stupid ate the same time...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's a suggestion that's on track for implementation in LMDE 2 (end 2014) and Linux Mint 18 (mid 2016) due to decisions upstream (Debian & Ubuntu moving to systemd) and of course evaluation by the developers.

Recent comments on the topic were just blind hate to anything and anybody systemd, not based on any facts. We don't tolerate kicking up controversy on these forums, that's just waste of everybody's time. We're even less tolerating of those uttering threats and ultimatums to others, as was the case here. The topic had become a magnet for such individuals and with it being clear the suggestion is on track for implementation I locked the topic.

There's currently a lot of controversy around systemd on the internet, with the opponents of systemd being the loudest and (from what I've seen) mostly opposing systemd based on inaccurate hearsay. I can understand that giving Linux Mint users questions, but the suggestions & new ideas forum isn't the place to discuss that. As I shared in the locking comment, questions/discussion about systemd can be done in Chat about Linux.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Watch out, xenopeek, or you'll end up locking this one as well. :mrgreen: :lol:

So much fun...

Return to “Non-technical Questions”