Will there be a LM17.1 XFCE release?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnBobSmith

Will there be a LM17.1 XFCE release?

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Hello all. Maybe I'm being impatient, but with the releae of LM17.1 Cinnamon and MATE, I can't help but wonder if there will be an XFCE release. So, is there a XFCE release being worked on? I know that the response I'm gonna get is probably "It will be released when its ready" but thats not very helpful. I don't need nor do I want exact dates. I just want to know if there is a release of LM17.1 XFCE in the works.

Best wishes to the developer team,
JohnBobSmith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Will there be a LM17.1 XFCE release?

Post by xenopeek »

You should follow the blog more closely :wink: Monthly news was published today, and the first item covers planning for 17.1 KDE and Xfce: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2729
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Only 1.72 % . . but it's being tested . . yay ! :D
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
VERSUS

Mint 17.1 XFCE Release Date ETA ??

Post by VERSUS »

I greet you all, in the forum ...

I am using Mate 17.1 64 Bit but for me XFCE is the best desktop enviroment. Is there an ETA of 17.1 Xfce release? I just cant wait for the Xfce spin !!

Another question : If i install Mint 17 XFCE and run a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade will it make it 17.1 XFCE or not ?

Thanks in advance for any replies...
Last edited by xenopeek on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Same question; already answered. Merged here.
r00t

Post by r00t »

The developers made GUI managers like mintUpdate for a reason :) When you dist-upgrade, it may delete packages that Mint needs in order to work. I highly suggest you don't run dist-upgrade, and instead use the Update Manager
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

VERSUS wrote:Another question : If i install Mint 17 XFCE and run a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade will it make it 17.1 XFCE or not ?
I missed your other question. Don't do this. You can install Mint 17 Xfce now, and after Mint 17.1 Xfce has been released you will be able to upgrade to it through Update Manager--just as Mint 17 Cinnamon and MATE users have already been doing. Follow the blog to stay up with what is happening: http://blog.linuxmint.com/
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Doh! I tend to do that a lot... Ask or do something a bit early/late (within 1 day).

Thanks for the info though. Is there any way one might be able to contribute to testing or bug fixing? Heck, I've seriously improved in my programming since last time I wanted to join the Mint dev team. Maybe in the new year we will see if there's a possiblity of me being a developer, depending on what needs done where and where I am in my real life.

Bottom line is, if there are any ways in which you (clem or others) think I can contribute, just let me know. I will see what I can do. It's always been in the back of my mind that I want to do something important and meangingful, just getting there is a whole other story. :lol:

Best wishes to the developer team,
JohnBobSmith
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can see progress of testing here: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso. Click through to see the list of test cases; click through on those to see the details of what to test. If you think this is something you would want to contribute to, and you have a community site account, pop into #linuxmint-dev and if you spot clem you can ask if he can use more ISO testers.

That said, it's just as important if instead you help test the release candidate after it passes above QA tests! Help find issues not covered in the QA test cases, and make the final release as good as it can be :)
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Thanks xenopeek. Most of those ISO tests look fairly simple, and it tells you exactly what to do for each test. I'll pop on the IRC today, and register on the community website. I can also do lots of RC testing too.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”