Linux Mint donation

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dsabadell

Linux Mint donation

Post by dsabadell »

Hey guys.
I'm a new user of Linux Mint. I started this july with Qiana. I had to buy a new computer and I just gave windows good ridddance.

I have this problem: Linux Mint doesn't allow payment of donation with credit card in other platforms than paypal.

I cannot use paypal since 2013. I set up an account in 2007 to make a buy in ebay. Few days later they said that someone tried to access my account and they suspended it. Paypal Spain (where I'got redirected everytime I try to buy something through paypal), wanted me to send personal docs by ordinary mail and I didn't. In 2013 my account was yet suspended but I got to make one time buy through paypal, I guess because my credit cards were new and they didn't know the numbers. One day later they started sending warnings they were suspending my new credit cards. This happened in june 2013. Today, desember 20th 2014 my account is yet suspended. I believe that paypal USA lets you pay with your credit card without setting up a compulsory account just like other thousand payment platforms, but let me tell you that this is not the case for spanish people. Paypal Spain doesn't let you pay anything if you don't have an account.

Let me add that I am a public officer working for a public administration and I don't owe money to anyone (well, it's true, I have a mortgage which I pay punctually every month) and I'm a proud and respectable citizen.

I've tried the bitcoin thing but I don't find an easy way with buying bitcoin with a credit card. I need to get certificates from my accounts in local banks that cost me 20 or more euros to just win the trust of foreign financial companies, to get to buy bitcoins (and that certificates need to be translated by a translation company, etc). I find this very annoying to just make a humble donation to your project.

Well, I must say I don't understand you help people to get away from propietary software companies claws and then you get this people in paypal's claws. I just don't understand.

I realize I cannot make my case against paypal with my clumsy english, so... I just ask for some help to make a donation. I really like Linux Mint and I understand there's a number of people devoting time and effort to this and I want to help, just show me the way!

David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint donation

Post by xenopeek »

Hey David :) Thanks for considering to donate to the Linux Mint project! We're aware PayPal is a problem for some users. We've made the development team (the ones you'd be supporting with your donation; the rest of us are volunteers) aware of that issue earlier but I'll have a chat with them about it again. For now, know that it heartens the team just to know that you want to support them on their work!

Perhaps you have a family member or close friend with a working PayPal account that would be willing to do a donation on your behalf, and you refund them. I understand you're looking for an option to do a direct credit card donation, but unfortunately that's not under control of the development team. I've had similar issues with PayPal in the past; some websites let me just use my credit card while for other websites PayPal only allows me to make a donation using a PayPal account...
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

I would also like to support LM team, but I dont have penpal either and I dont know anyone who has. (im not from the USA and its not really used here).
There should really be some simpler donation option for people who dont have Paypal or have some other online payment issues.
Maybe give us your postal address and we will send you the money in an envelope :D
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
tone303

Post by tone303 »

why cant you press Pay as Guest and go to the paypal page that you enter CC info and stuff without an account?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that PP option, is not actually available.
- on a lot of web sites.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

tone303 wrote:why cant you press Pay as Guest and go to the paypal page that you enter CC info and stuff without an account?
It's not up to Linux Mint; AFAIK it's PayPal that handles this differently for different websites based on location of payer and payee (and what laws and rules PayPal has to comply with for that).
jonmarx

Post by jonmarx »

From the UK, you have the choice to pay from your PayPal account if you have one, or with a credit/debit card instead. I imagine that's true many other countries too, if not most. But the credit/debit card option is in smallish print at the bottom of the page - easy to miss if you're not looking for it specifically.

Although PayPal help themselves to a cut whichever way you pay, this may well add up to less than your bank's fee and percentage commission for paying in a foreign currency.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

cinnamoncoffee wrote:Maybe give us your postal address and we will send you the money in an envelope :D
^^THIS^^

I should point out that there are many (a small percentage of the total, perhaps, but still many) thieves working in and/or having access to the various postal systems of the world (plus that pesky little snot down the street that I saw peeking into the mailbox across the road from his house), so cash is by no means guaranteed to arrive. Most of it probably does. Don't just send it alone in an envelope if the envelope is thin enough that someone can tell by feel or from holding it up to a light that there's money in it. Don't send along with a greeting card (such as a thank you card), because thieves know that grandma always sends $20 on your birthday :lol: .

I once had success in sending cash through the (US domestic) postal service. I printed "Third and FINAL NOTICE!" on the envelope in big bold red font. The addressee called me (laughing) to acknowledge receipt and said, "Yeah, no one would steal a bill."

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
I once had success in sending cash through the (US domestic) postal service. I printed "Third and FINAL NOTICE!" on the envelope in big bold red font. The addressee called me (laughing) to acknowledge receipt and said, "Yeah, no one would steal a bill."

Regards,
MDM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Non-technical Questions”