Very impressed

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Very impressed

Postby jeff_s on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Hello all,

I'm just another happy new Mint user.

After not being able to run it on a 256meg ram laptop (yes, I know the website says 512 and above), I decided to give Mint another try after upgrading the ram in that laptop to a Gig.

And I'm very very glad I did.

I already liked Ubuntu, and have always generally preferred Gnome over KDE.

But I was intrigued to have a distro based on Ubuntu, that had the media codecs already installed, added extra nice GUI config tools, and added a gorgeous new theme.

Thus, Mint fit the bill here.

I never had problems with Automatix with Ubuntu - it works great. But having the media codecs already installed and configured is a big time saver.

I also like the Mint GUI config tools.

Finally, the Mint them - desktop, colors, icons, panel style, is simply gorgeous. I've never had a problem with the browns, tans, and oranges of regular Ubuntu (it's actually quite warm and inviting), but Mint's combination of soft blues and greens and grays is very very nice.

Some suggestions:

1. For the LiveCD, give the option to boot in a "light" mode - i.e. disable resource hungry stuff like Beagle and Tomboy, so that someone can get a usable Mint LiveCD experience with just 256megs of ram. Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Mepis, Knoppix, Sidux, and a host of others could run live on that laptop when it had 256, and I think Mint should have that option.

2. Perhaps via Cafe Press, offer stuff like Linux Mint Coffee mugs, T-shirts, travel bags, mouse pads, etc. This would give people another good way to help support the distro, and get a nice goody to go with their support.
jeff_s
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

another thing ...

Postby jeff_s on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:38 pm

... I also like the mintMenu. It's similar to both the SuSE slab menu, and the Gnome-main-menu v2, only better. :)
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" - George Carlin

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
jeff_s
Level 1
Level 1

Re: another thing ...

Postby Alephcat on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:20 am

are you sure that the second quote in your .sig should not have "Pierce" on the end of the name? :wink: :roll:
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Non-technical Questions