[SOLVED]Current Linux Mint update system upgrade

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED]Current Linux Mint update system upgrade

Post by RobertX »

Hey guys,

Fom now until the end of time, will forthcoming Linux Mint OSs continue to have an option to upgrade to future versions like Ubuntu?

If so, can I still keep my current software versions after each OS upgrade?

I'm asking because there are nightly versions of VLC that are outdated, but function better than both the public releases and succeeding nighlties. If I did an OS upgrade, and lose my dear data, I'm done for.

Thanks and toodles!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Current Linux Mint update system and keeping the softwar

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 17.1 has just been released. You can upgrade in place, without reinstalling, from 17 to 17.1. The same will hold true for 17.2 and so on. All the 17.x releases of Linux Mint you can continue to use till April 2019, so there's a long way to go without need to reinstall. They all use the same long-term support package base (Ubuntu 14.04); each new release of 17.x adds newer versions of Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, and the Mint tools (and Xfce, if that project ever releases a new version).

Mid 2016 we can expect the first Linux Mint 18 release, which will use a new long-term support package base (Ubuntu 16.04). At least, that's the plan right now but of course 2016 is far away so plan might change. At that time, mid 2016, there's still 3 years of support left on Linux Mint 17 so there won't be a need to upgrade. How it will be recommended to upgrade from 17 to 18 we don't know yet either. You will always be able to risk doing an upgrade in place if you want to, like you have always been able to do on past Linux Mint releases.
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RobertX »

Well, it would be unfortunate if I have to force "upgrade" a perfect version of a progam into a crappy one just for the sake of an upgrade.

Even when Mint 18 comes, I hope I will still be able to upgrade to it directly from the previous version.

Either that or another way to backup that program.

Thank you.

EDIT: I hope you'll accept my apology for the double post and take the duplicate one to hell.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Why exactly do you feel you need to upgrade from 17 to 17.1? The tutorial on the subject at the mint doc site recommends not upgrading a release without a reason.

The other thing is, VLC isn't exactly bug free ... nothing non trivial is ... but it's not that bad. I suspect some mis-configuration of your video card. WHat is the video card and drivers you're using?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

The tutorial on the subject at the mint doc site recommends not upgrading a release without a reason.
Oh well. The preface "Upgrade for a reason" is the weirdest preface which I have ever read in an upgrade instruction.
Here we learn which wonderful new features Mint 17.1 will bring to us compared to Mint 17:
+ Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” MATE released! - New features at a glance
+ Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Cinnamon released! - New features at a glance
And now that we are hot to enjoy the new features, the upgrade instruction tries to scare us away again. :roll:

About keeping a particular VLC software version:

Provided the currently installed VLC version has been installed through Software Manager or through Synaptic from the normal repositories, you can lock the current version in
+ Synaptic and
+ Update Manager
As a result neither Synaptic, nor Update Manager will offer any updates for VLC.

In case you have installed VLC circumventing the software management system, Synaptic and Update Manager will not even know VLC is present and will not offer to update it anyway.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RobertX »

Hoser Rob wrote:Why exactly do you feel you need to upgrade from 17 to 17.1? The tutorial on the subject at the mint doc site recommends not upgrading a release without a reason.

The other thing is, VLC isn't exactly bug free ... nothing non trivial is ... but it's not that bad. I suspect some mis-configuration of your video card. WHat is the video card and drivers you're using?
Hey. My reason for upgrades... let's see... a friend of mine, who still uses Windows, tells me that it's always wise to keep upgrading... so I followed suit. And besides, upgrading to a more recent version of a free operating system is, well, free. :)

Now, the VLC topic: I don't think that the video card is the culprit of the VLC cancer. Before I upgraded to the most recent version, the pre-release version I upgraded from (not to) had almost no problems. It wasn't perfect, but it didn't have problems that I can't live it. The newer pre-releases, well, I can't right-click on the video. Now, the second reason: I upgraded the same version of the VLC player on two machines; two machines can't be wrong. Third reason: the videos in question work on SMPlayer, yes SMPlayer. The video can be right-clicked on using SMPlayer. Is that beside the point?
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RobertX »

Just thought you guys should know:

I upgraded my default VLC software for one reason: the thing won't play my VCDs if I change chapters. That was a reason. Although I didn't believe that there will be a straight answer to using VLC from the night repo, at least the idea is original. Uprading for a reason? There was one.

Thank you.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

RobertX wrote:... the videos in question work on SMPlayer, yes SMPlayer. The video can be right-clicked on using SMPlayer. Is that beside the point?
"yes SMPlayer"???

SMplayer is my default video player, and it actually plays more formats properly than vlc. Why the frak should I be surprised?

One thing I forgot: did you install vlc from a ppa?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RobertX »

Yes, I did.

Actually, HR, I think I still like VLC for the fact that it plays DVD menus. A minor fixture, but I am a fussy man.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Installing from a ppa may be your problem ... it's not a good idea to use them for software that's in the repos generally unless you know you have to, and dvd menu support isn't a good reason.

I don't actually use dvd menus on a computer anymore but I know it's hard to find players that support it on any platform.
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED Current Linux Mint update system and keeping the soft

Post by RobertX »

Hoser Rob wrote:dvd menu support isn't a good reason
It is to me, on an aesthetic level, but what do I know? After all, I only started my GNU/Linux journey eight years ago with Ubuntu.

Thanks for your insights everyone, I'll take your advice into consideration.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”